Menu
StuartKicks
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Can connect to phone to 5Ghz but get very poor internet connectivity

Hi.

Not sure what information you would like.

I have a Google Pixel phone, it can connect to the 2.4Ghz network just fine. If I connect to the 5Ghz I get full signal strength but essentially no internet access. I've ran a speedtest on my phone and it gets 0.3 down but 12 up. Everything within the LAN works, my phone can see other devices internally but anything outside my network fails.

I have tried changing

• Wireless mode
  • Channel
  • Channel width

I would appreciate any other suggestions, I have also reported the problem to Google, ran through troubleshooting and they've suggested I contact you.

0 Kudos
pmk_mck
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can connect to phone to 5Ghz but get very poor internet connectivity

It seems that you're not alone having issue with Pixel and 5GHz:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/5a08vn/pixel_xl_constantly_dropping_5ghz_band_wifi/

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/3oLu8BhsE9k

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/phone-by-google/CduSypOAeXw/UDYuFhngBwAJ

According to Pixel's spec it supports: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 2x2 MIMO. The highest performing WiFi mode on the Super Hub is 802.11ac which is 5GHz only, but the next WiFi "mode" down from 802.11ac is 802.11n, and that supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.

Would you consider forcing the Super Hub into an 802.11n mode, pair it with your phone on 2.4GHz, run a speed test, and then repeat for 802.11n and 5GHz, just to see if there's any performance difference?

Whilst it's not ideal that you're having to use the more congested 2.4GHz spectrum, does it really really matter if it works to the max speed possible? Put it this way, I can max-out my broadband using a speedtest when I connect to my ASUS WiFi AP using either 2.4GHz or 5GHz. Although I completely agree that the Pixel should work on 5GHz if that's the product spec touted.

0 Kudos
StuartKicks
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hey

The options as I see it are.

802.11ac
802.11n/ac
802.11a/n/ac * current setting

I've dropped it down to n/ac and will retest.

2.4 n = 108down 12up

802.11a/n/ac 49down 12 up (hovered around 3 down before spiking towards end)

802.11n/ac test couldn't run, speed test reports "network issues".

802.11ac 0.85down 12up

Sometimes it will connect and work for about 2 mins after connection and I'll get 200down and 12up but this is very brief, it will typically reduce to a crawl until I either turn wifi off or reconnect to the 2.4.

Also yeah I know that it's not the end of the world but I'd like to trouble shoot this to death so I can go back to Google support and say this is on you, can't blame my network when I know every other device works fine. Clearly something is wrong with the PXL but I need to rule all other variables out.

Any other ideas what I can try? Thoughts on the tests results?
0 Kudos
pmk_mck
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The results are pretty conclusive, the PXL works best on the most common WiFi network standard on the most commonly used frequency band.

I had a look here to see if I could find the WiFi certification for the PXL...but I couldn't. Is the WiFi logo on it's box?

In your position, I'd be looking to try another 11ac WiFi access point and see if the PXL works with that on 11ac mode. I'd be going around to a friend's house to try, or ordering one of Amazon with an intent to test and return it in pristine condition...

0 Kudos
pmk_mck
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@StuartKicks - The reason I was asking if the PXL had the WiFi logo on it's packaging, is because the phone would need to have passed WiFi certification to be allowed to use that logo. If you look here, you can see the WiFi certificate for Samsung's A7. But I've not yet been able to find the cert for Pixel.

0 Kudos
StuartKicks
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sorry.

Just got the box, definitely no wi-fi logo, is this uncommon?

In the "Safety + Warranty" leaflet I found the following page relating to wi-fi.

https://imgur.com/gallery/4RqO6

Also got the following reply from Google support, I had several exchanges before this latest when a new support agent introduced themselves to take over the case.

Hi Stuart,

Thank you for contacting Google. My name is xxxx and I will be helping you with your query from here on. Sorry to hear you're having issues with your wifi. I've done the same thing on my phone so I understand it can be a little frustrating.

In order for me to help further, could you tell me where you bought the device?

If you bought it from a 3rd party retailer, please contact them for more warranty options. If they are not able to help, please don't be afraid to reply to my email. I'd be happy to support you further.

If your device was bought from us, please email me back with the IMEI number of the device. You can find the IMEI number by doing the following here.

If you have any more questions, please reply to this email. I'm happy to help!

Thanks!
xxxx
The Google Support Team

This is going to be a hassle if I have to exchange the phone.

Also with regards to your other suggestion of trying on a different AC I tried it on my BIL's SH3, got the same thing as mine.
0 Kudos
pmk_mck
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The lack of the WiFi logo just means that it's not gone through wifi.org's certification process, it's not terribly unusual, I'd actually have been more concerned if it HAD the WiFi logo and didn't work, because that'd mean that it had been through interoperability testing but was failing in your case. And from the test you've done on the other SH3, it sounds like they're simply not compatible at 5GHZ.

It's true, replacing the handset is not a journey undertaken trivially, especially if you expect that the outcome will be unchanged.

0 Kudos
StuartKicks
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Welp.

Replacing the phone makes no difference, same issue persists. I think I'm going to buy a new router, the SH3 isn't great anyway and I've seen fairly decent replacements on Amazon for £25.
0 Kudos