Virginmedia please leave it alone while it's working 

0 Kudos

All Replies
andybundy
Up to speed
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can a mod check this please

Apart from a degree of envy that you were lucky in receiving the more modern superhub, the mods here generally cannot provide a timely real-time service such as you'd get through calling 150.

Even before you call 150, you will need to consider and collate the answers to some of all of the following questions.

1. Have you used any survey apps to see whether any neighbours using overlapping channels? Not such a problem at 5ghz, but not impossible.

2. You have not given any clues as to whether other factors might be causing a slow-down. For example, does the problem:

- affect other 802.11as devices or indeed wifi-N devices on the 5ghz band?I

- only appear if you move around?

- only occur at the busier times of day? For example evenings and weekends? How many other devices are in use? It may be you've exceeded the fair use limits and been traffic shaped.

-  Have you tried connecting, by way of a test, directly to the router using quality car 6 cable?

It is worth remembering that the 802.11as standard has a much reduced range compared with older types, and not all ac routers contain features such as beam-forming.

These types of investigation may seem complex, but often require little more than a checklist, the use of the ping command, and some patience.

Good luck, and the more you experiment, the more you learn. 

One last point to be aware of is that you get what you pay for. Your router was essentially free, so bear that in mind. My personal setup is the super hub as modem (bridge mode), an old pc with a dual gig-Ethernet ports from Intel acting as router/firewall/parental filter, and two TP-Link C8 routers at opposite ends of my bungalow as access points.

A bit excessive, but if nothing else, the C8 is a good replacement router, and coupled with a flash-upgrade to DD-WRT, it makes an excellent device for around £80.

Good luck

AndyBundy
-----------------
I don't work for VM. I am medically 'retired' after working for a large multi-national Telco and have spent fifteen years in WAN/LAN IP Networking, Network Management and IT Support.
0 Kudos
andybundy
Up to speed
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Just saw graph, frankly you should not put too much stock into their value for the simple reason that not only are the results showing a fairly acceptable response against the time of day, where the tool confuses round trip time (how quick a long goes from you to the server and back) with latency which is actually the additional time added by each different router along the route.

If you believe your problem is Wi-Fi caused, then it proves nothing at all.

Andy

AndyBundy
-----------------
I don't work for VM. I am medically 'retired' after working for a large multi-national Telco and have spent fifteen years in WAN/LAN IP Networking, Network Management and IT Support.
0 Kudos
Jacevoor77
Up to speed
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

It's been in modem mode all this time as it's been playing up I only put in router mode to do this test for the graph
0 Kudos
andybundy
Up to speed
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Jacevoor77,

If you have had your Superhub in modem mode all this time, this implies that like myself and many other VM customers you have purchased your own equipment, be it a replacement/improved router or other equipment.

While I am no particular fan of some of the self-confessed 'experts' on the helpdesk, I feel that I should point out on their behalf that you cannot expect them to diagnose problems on equipment that they have not provided.  I draw this assumption from your original post which implied a WIFI problem:

"My superhub 2ac is dropping 5ghz band which is set at 36 and dropping speed"  which was accompanied by a WAN speed-check graph, followed by your later post in which you state "It's been in modem mode all this time as it's been playing up I only put in router mode to do this test for the graph " which means that VM's equipment is acting solely as a modem, with its internal WIFI function turned off.

In this case I would suggest that you start off by running through some of the PD (problem determination) steps posted above, reading through the documentation from the manufacturer of your replacement router, and if none of this helps, post all of your results, and I'm sure that somebody like myself or someone more qualified will pitch in with suggestions.

Alternatively I believe VM used to offer, and probably still do, a chargeable service for providing support with more generalised IT equipment in your home.

I am sorry to be so blunt, but the general 'rules of the road' in forums such as these include the expectation that you provide as much relevant and appropriate information as possible, which in your care would include:

• Details of equipment and devices in use, as well as the 'environment' in which it lives, eg connections, house type, distances, wiring, etc.
  • The nature of the speed drop-off, when and where it occurs, and as much detail as possible of the WIFI conditions, which can be obtained through a number of free APPS which can be installed on Android devices and presumably iPhones/iPads, not to mention Windows laptops, etc
  • Demonstrative evidence that the 'dropping speed' is on the WIFI side, as opposed to the generally expected increase in internet usage which always worsens later in the day.  By definition, your graph shows a perfectly reasonable picture for the time of day based on the assumption that there is inherent latency in any wifi connection, and there is no information of the 'network distance' (eg number of hops, speed/capacity/utilisation of each hop/connection, etc).  Nor have you mentioned the speed/package you have subscribed to. 
  • I'm not convinced of Thinkbroadband's accuracy as I'm on the max 200Mbit/s connection, and their speedtest showed an average of 210Mbit/s.  I expected generally lower figures, but really struggle with higher ones!

I appreciate I ramble on, but to summarise:

Describe your problem, equipment and environment
Isolate the problem using basic tools and differing connections, different wifi channels, cabled connections, and then ping/traceroute (or tracert on Windows) etc.
If problem not immediately obvious, post the information and results.

Forums like this are a two-way street, the person asking for help needs to put in the work to provide enough information to work with.

AndyBundy
-----------------
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

That graph is showing a utilisation problem during peak time, which could be a subtle cause for the issues, when you say the wifi drops out does the device completely disconnect from your router? Or does it just lose the internet?
0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Did this happen with your own router? I'm confused being as you have gone back to the hub2AC for the moment
0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

To be fair the peak time issue could be mute, I have just witnessed the same spike on my hub and my mothers at the exact same times and she is in a completely different area nearly 40 miles away so this could be a thinkbroadband issue or even a deeper internal issue with the virgin area which has now been resolved, so hopefully just coincidence.

IMG_0001.PNGIMG_0002.PNG

0 Kudos
Jacevoor77
Up to speed
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Yes I when back to the superhub 2 ac. As the modem was dropping speed and dropped the net
I did a full factory reset before starting the graph. But of course we need wifi so had to leave superhub in router mode . And there's nothing wrong with the archer c9 as I tested it at friends out to rule it .and it passed . On the superhub the wifi is not on auto channels I am 6 meters on the sofa and still get cutout for few seconds . Also notice on c9 and hub in router some sites are slow
Very.Co. UK ares forums virgin help forums on wired cat 6 cables and wifi even Google can take few seconds my Ethernet card is 1gig latest drivers . This only all happened when my modem when to green tick for a hour restarted it self and then I found out its was on v2.11

Otherwise modem mode as been super great so something as happened
0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Can you visit the hubs interface http://192.168.0.1 don't login but click Router status, copy and paste the details from the downstream, upsteam, and network log sections, being as the problem spans over the hub and your router it may be a line problem, so pasting those details can rule that out, also an updated ping graph might be helpful
0 Kudos