Menu
alitech
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Can I use my superhub 3 just as an access point?

Hi guys

I have a superhub 2 already and get 200mbps which is all good. Because this router didn't have AC, I bought my own Netgear R7000 and used the superhub in modem only mode. 

I now have just received the superhub 3 in the post and was wondering what the best way to use it as an additional access point as I am almost maxing out my R7000 at peak times. I want to use the new superhub 3 as a dedicated access point for my IP cameras, whats the best way of doing that?

I went into settings of my superhub 2 and saw that we can use it as a modem or a router + modem. If these are the only 2 options, how do I enable ACCESS POINT only so that my R7000 remains the DHCP?

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Thanks 

Ali

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can I use my superhub 3 just as an access point?

I don't think you can. Best just stick the Hub 3 in Modem Mode and carry on as normal. If your Netgear R7000 is being maxed out, I guess a newer more powerful router is on the cards ?

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It might work if you turn off DHCP in the SH2 and then connect it to a R7000 port. Thing is that the SH2 will continually try to find a WAN signal. This does not prevent it acting as a router, but it will be disconcerting.

Please let us know what happens - this sort of question gets asked frequently and people just don't come back with the outcome.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Because the hub 3 has no DHCP off option it will not work unless you use static LAN IP's

0 Kudos
alitech
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Aww man!!! No DHCP off option is a no go!!

To save costs, i will need to get an additonal router/access point for the time being

Whats a good cheap one guys?

0 Kudos
alitech
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Saphiroth, thanks for this one, so in essence you are suggesting that I swap out the modem and make the SH3 as the modem and use the SH2 as an access point with DHCP off? Yes?

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sephiroth wrote:
It might work if you turn off DHCP in the SH2 and then connect it to a R7000 port. Thing is that the SH2 will continually try to find a WAN signal. This does not prevent it acting as a router, but it will be disconcerting.

Please let us know what happens - this sort of question gets asked frequently and people just don't come back with the outcome.

I should have made myself clearer.  Are you able to use the Hub 3 in router mode and displace the SH2 to be your additional access point?

Btw, as a matter of interest, what manages to max out the R7000?  In what way is it maxed out?

0 Kudos
Stamfordman
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Just reviving this. I have just got a Superhub 3 and wanted to set it up as a wireless access point and gigabit switch to replace an old ADSL Netgear router, which is only 10/100 ethernet. The main router is a Superhub 2, first gen. 

You can disable DHCP in the 3, which I did, and I've had it running OK with a local Mac connected by ethernet and both WiFi frequencies work well. But it seems to be messing up other wired connections on the network and i think it needs its own IP address? I couldn't work out how to set one and now I can't access the settings without a factory reset. 

So would it be easier to use the 3 as the cable/modem router and move the 2 to be the access point? Or are these Superhubs problematic as wireless access points? I had no trouble with the ADSL Netgear. 

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Definitely Hub 3 facing Virgin Media and the SH2 as an external router. How to do the SH2 bit is in:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Super-Hub-used-as-an-access-point/td-p/30743...

0 Kudos
Stamfordman
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - have installed the 3 as the modem-router and now have the 2 as a working wired/wireless access point. It's much easier to configure than the 3. 

I can't see how to set an end IP address on the 3 though which I think is the advice. But it works with the 2 set to 254 and DHCP turned off. 

One small point - is there any way to disable the flashing network symbol on the 2 - I presume it's looking for its cable network, in vain. 

0 Kudos