Menu
Misskrh
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Can I use a Netgear router?

Hi, the plug on my Virgin router has just broken leaving me with no Internet, is it possible to use a Netgear router (cable type) instead? And is it a case of plug and go, or more complicated? Thanks in advance..
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can I use a Netgear router?

Misskrh wrote:
Hi, the plug on my Virgin router has just broken leaving me with no Internet, is it possible to use a Netgear router (cable type) instead? And is it a case of plug and go, or more complicated? Thanks in advance..

No, only the router supplied to you by Virgin will work.

Dave.

cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

but you can temporarily use a compatible plug, if that's all that is wrong , while you want for an official replacement to be shipped.

if you can match the voltage  the amp rating & the connector size you should  be good to go e.g. 12v 2A for the hub 1 hub 2 - may be different for hub 3

look for volts and amps to be printed on the broken one

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Misskrh wrote:

No, only the router supplied to you by Virgin will work.

Dave.

cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

but you can temporarily use a compatible plug, if that's all that is wrong , while you want for an official replacement to be shipped.

if you can match the voltage  the amp rating & the connector size you should  be good to go e.g. 12v 2A for the hub 1 hub 2 - may be different for hub 3

look for volts and amps to be printed on the broken one

barbarahopgood
Settling in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Good afternoon

ref using a 3 party Router. I have just spent 30mins on the phone with virgin asking about this, as I would be downgrading to your router from a NETGEAR which has a large network and working fine! I have been told I can continue to use my NETGEAR and leave the virgin hub 3.0 in the box after ordering. with NO consequences.

As I was worried as the letter sent out, states if I didn't upgrade the "Router" there would be amendments to my account.  Even though I am more then happy how ever thing is running.  I have been using a 3 party Router for at minimum of 10 years. 

Why all the trouble to make us use your Router now?

many thanks.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

er.. do Virgin know what they are talking about.

it is 100% definite that you need a piece of virgin kit to get internet. you cannot connect your router directly to their in coming network co-ax cable

So you need either an old cable modem ( which I think is what the letter isreferring to phasing out) or a (not so )superhub. 

Yes you can put the hub in modem mode & keep your router, but you still have to take it out of the box.

I suggest you call again or wait for clarification here, dont sik login your connect.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You're right. If someone is being required to change to the Hub 3.0 from a standalone modem, then they'd need to use modem mode in order to continue to use their own router.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Misskrh,

If you are still having connection issues since posting on here would you please reply to my PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) with the requested information as I am unable to locate your details right now?

We should be able to order new equipment for you but I'd like to confirm what you are using and in relation to which packages so that we can decide on the best course of action.

Welcome to our Forum by the way Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos