Menu
MilesB
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Cable mode connection has gone complete haywire this week

Not entirely sure what has happened, but as of roughly Sunday 20/11/2015 my connection (150Vivo) is getting terrible packet loss, 250+ ping and an upload of about .5mbit.

Nothing has changed in my setup. I have the cable modem tucked away in my garage hooked up to a R7000 router. 

upload.PNG

download.PNG

Here's my speed test: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5827253900 

My neighbours don't seem to have the same problem. Not entirely sure what could have happened.

Any thoughts welcome

[edit] The VM "tester" fails consistently :/

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable mode connection has gone complete haywire this week

Your downstream power levels are too hgh and need to be adjusted.

You will need to contact VM for resolution, either by waiting here about a week  until a VM Forum Team Member picks up the thread, or give them a call on 150 from a VM line or 0345 454 1111 for a quicker response.

MilesB
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Cool, I'll get on to them.

Out of curiosity, why would they hike the power? Surely that would be relayed back to VM and automatically adjusted?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Docsis doesn't quite work like that.  The downstream is a one to many connection with the VM's Cable Modem Termination System    transmitting all the data on a specific set of channels to all modems physically connected to that particular CMTS node The hub will only demodulate the traffic that is intended for it by it's IP address and disregard the rest of the data.

So as the CMTS can be talking to '000s of cable modems at the same time it could not adust the power levels for a particular modem, so there is no requirement in DOCSIS for the Hub to report it's downstream power levels during station maintenance

The high power levels could be a piece of equipment failing or malaligned, like a faulty amp or even a tech doing maintenance on your local street cabinet putting your connection on the wrong tap. A good read on power levels here..

There is a lot of good info on how DOCSIS works on my first link's site.

MilesB
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks that's quite interesting. I'll have to read up on it

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi MilesB, 

Thanks for letting us know that you're having terrible ping and packet loss, I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have tested things from here and I can see that both of your upstream power levels are too high and will require an engineer to attend in order to get this resolved for you. 

I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with making the booking. Please respond to me there and I'll ensure this all gets booked and secured for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

MilesB
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Afternoon All,

not to worry. An engineer visited my house a few days ago. He confirmed the Hub 2 I had was FUBAR, and I also needed an attenuator for the high power levels.

He's switched me over to a Hub 3 and the attenuator. It was a bit of a pain it took quite so long to arrange an engineer appointment, particularly as I'm still paying for a service.

At least we're rolling again. Thanks all

0 Kudos