Menu
DaveA
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Bursts of packet loss and increased latency - Bromley

First occurred at 1:30pm yesterday. It slows the connection to a crawl when it's happening. Rang 150 at about 6pm to report the problem but the guy on the 'phone didn't seem to understand what packet loss was. When he saw my superhub was in modem mode he was intent on blaming my router, switch, wireless access point etc. to the point of insisting on transferring me to the "gadget helpline"!

I rang back and the second guy was more clued up. Put me on hold while he spoke to 2nd line and asked more relevant questions. Back and forth a few times and the problem cleared. I was still holding as I thought he'd come back on the line and tell me what the problem was but after 15 minutes of on-hold music I gave up put the 'phone down.

The thinkbroadband chart shows further problems after midnight. Anyone know what's going on?

My Broadband Ping - MikroTik RouterOS

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bursts of packet loss and increased latency - Bromley

Hi Dave,

Well it's very pretty ... you could probably hang that in the Tate Gallery and get a prize    Smiley LOL

I've had something very similar recently but no clue as to what caused it.  During the daytime I'd probably settle for an installer working in the local street cabinet causing problems.  The occurrence after midnight (very close to the witching hour wasn't it) is more difficult to hypothesise but could be engineering work of some sort.  I see it includes a complete outage of nearly an hour around 2am.

Unless it becomes a regular issue I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

What own router do you have with modem mode?

0 Kudos
DaveA
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi legacy1,

My router is one I put together myself based on work done by "rotor2k" in this thread http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4204583-re-recommended-router-for-fttp-330-mbps.html on the thinkbroadand "Fibre Broadband" forum. It's based on an Intel DN2800MT motherboard running MikroTik's RouterOS and it's very fast at shifting packets!

It looks like there's been another period of packet loss between 12pm and 2pm today. Next time it happens I will try and run a traceroute to try and pin down where in the network it's happening.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Is the port link speed at 1Gb  from the SH to the router?

0 Kudos
DaveA
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes, it is.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Could your router be setup to drop ICMP when the available bandwidth set max out?

have you firewalled ICMP in to only allow from IP 80.249.99.164 ?

0 Kudos
DaveA
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm sure RouterOS is set up to prioritize certain protocols and drop icmp when pushed to the limits but in the three years I've had the router I've never seen the cpu utilization go above 5% in the logs. The logs also show next to no traffic on my connection when the packet loss is occurring.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If it happens again run this VoIP test to see to see what side the packet loss is from.
http://myspeed.visualware.com/test.html?cb=mcslhr.visualware.com&ltxt=London%2C+UK&htxt=Visualware+I...

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi DaveA, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to see that you have had trouble with packet loss and latency. 

I have taken a look and I can see there was an increase in FECS in your area recently which seems to have settled over the past day or so. We will need to keep an eye out to make sure they do not get worse again over time. 

How have things been looking over the past few days? 

If you are still having trouble what sort of time are you seeing the issues? 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos