Menu
Megavaporion
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Buffering and signal drops

Hi
I'm finding drops in signal- yesterday we watched nearly the whole of The Martian and just as he was going to escape it started buffering and said "insufficient bandwidth". No one started using any other devices and the film didn't restart. The hub is in another room and when I asked the engineer to move it when he was here updating our hub he said as it wasn't on his job list so he couldn't do it.

Can you explain what might be going on?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Buffering and signal drops

I assume you are connecting wirelessly.

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference. Interference can cause dropouts like you have been experiencing and is a very common problem, especially if you have obstacles between the hub and your client.

First of all, I would test that it is not the internet connection dropping out by testing with a device connected directly to the hub.

You could try and optimise your wireless connection by changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

I would also check for other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

If optimisation fails then something like wireless powerline adapters may help.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Buffering and signal drops

I assume you are connecting wirelessly.

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference. Interference can cause dropouts like you have been experiencing and is a very common problem, especially if you have obstacles between the hub and your client.

First of all, I would test that it is not the internet connection dropping out by testing with a device connected directly to the hub.

You could try and optimise your wireless connection by changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

I would also check for other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

If optimisation fails then something like wireless powerline adapters may help.