Menu
Crocks
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Broadband wireless Upload and download speeds

On a 100mbps package 

In the home, using speediest on the wireless, i get 96mbps download, 12ms ping, and 6.30 mbps upload

In my home-office (served via 25m ethernet cable from Hub 3 router and wireless from TP-Link access point) using speediest on the wireless I get: 

44mbps download, 14 ms ping, and 6.30 mbps upload. 

I am trying to run Zwift (cycling) in home-office and it is struggling.

1. If i get 200mbps Virgin package will I get more download speed and upload speed in the home and in home office?

2. Is the drop of 50% download speed (96mbps down to 44mbps) reasonable given the length of ethernet and the fact that an access point is used?   

Thank you 

0 Kudos
Crocks
Joining in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband wireless Upload and download speeds

to clarify speediest should read Speedtest.net  - a mobile app. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband wireless Upload and download speeds

Crocks wrote:

On a 100mbps package 

In the home, using speedtest.net on the wireless, i get 96mbps download, 12ms ping, and 6.30 mbps upload

You would likely get over 100Mb if the network card in your computer was gigabit. 100Mb network cards limit speeds to around 96Mb. So check your network card, is it 10/100 (100Mb) or 10/100/1000? (gigabit). Also check the small lettering down the side of your ethernet cable, is it cat 5, cat 5e, cat 6 etc? Generally speaking you need at least a good cat 5e or better for speeds above 96Mb.

In my home-office (served via 25m ethernet cable from Hub 3 router and wireless from TP-Link access point) using speediest on the wireless I get: 

44mbps download, 14 ms ping, and 6.30 mbps upload. 

That sounds like a good result for a wireless access point connecting at 65Mb data rate (one step down from the strongest signal you can get).

The speed is low because you only get 2/3rds of the speed of the data rate your device connects at on the 2.4ghz band. So you likely have a single stream wifi card in your computer and your TP-Link is set to 20Mhz mode (144Mb). See '65' in the table below:

I am trying to run Zwift (cycling) in home-office and it is struggling.

Could be any reason along the line from the wifi, to errors on the hub, or problems with the website. You need to test each component separately to isolate the cause.

1. If i get 200mbps Virgin package will I get more download speed and upload speed in the home and in home office?

Unless you have a gigabit network card (or gigabit USB adapter, which you can buy from Amazon for £20) in your computer AND a gigabit capable ethernet cable, then your computer will only be able to use 96Mb of that 200Mb that is available on your hub. Other devices could use the remaining speed if running at the same time.

2. Is the drop of 50% download speed (96mbps down to 44mbps) reasonable given the length of ethernet and the fact that an access point is used?   

You should get almost no drop in speed via ethernet cable over that length, provided there are no breaks in the cable and the cable is good quality. Have you tested the speed via the ethernet cable?

The TP-Link wireless speeds are very reasonable, almost ideal given the devices and modes used. If you set the TP-Link to 300Mb or 40Mhz mode, then you should find you get faster speeds, BUT unless the ethernet ports on the TP-Link are also gigabit then they'll face the same limitation in speed of under 96Mb.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos