Menu
kcfreeman
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Broadband unreliability in Frimley

Does anyone know what is going on with VM Broadband in Frimley ?  I've lost service 4 times in the last week - all down to 'area issues'

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband unreliability in Frimley

Hi there kcfreeman,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to read you are having an issue with your broadband connection.

Looking at the network there was a fault reported in your area which has since closed down as resolved. However your upstream power levels are too high at + 54 dBmV and as this can have an impact on your connection, I would like to arrange an engineer appointment to check this. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

punnorg
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband unreliability in Frimley

Hi, apparently the drop outs are still affecting many users in the area.

I have had 10 weeks of it and it's become frequent - to the extent I get drop outs about 10 to 15 times daily. The WAN connection on the router just dies and the router reboots or tries to reconnect. The WiFi part of it is fine as I have had it during all WiFi SSIDs being disabled whilst plugged into the router directly and connected to router with just my laptop.

I logged it with VM about 4 weeks or so and have persisted with it, even though I work from home and it has impacted my work many times. VM have done the obvious troubleshooting, tested the connection remotely and made tweaks they say. Nothing has improved. I have about 2 weeks worth of BQM data and it's consistent. Last weekend, I rang in to complain and even ordered the new Super Hub 3.0 router, in the hope it might cure the painful drop-outs myself. The router arrived a week later and upon activation it all started well - any my connection held for a full two hours without disconnection! The irony is that I have added nothing to my network, not even a smart device, or changed any configuration on the router which has been chugging away without intervention for over 2 years. The problem is 100% on the VM side and it is more than evident - but still I have checked my network configuration, ruled out devices, and even worked directly wired into the hub with a CAT5 with WiFi switched off and all my devices shut off for over 2 hours - and it still dropped. I don't know what is is I can do after running tests after tests, calling 150 about 7 times in 4 weeks, and even buying the new router in the hope that my connection may last beyond the next day! But check this...

Today (Sunday) I rang 150 and for once I was perturbed by the whole thing. Knowing fully well I was going to get through to the India team, I wasn't hoping for a cure to the problem but I did let off steam and insisted they dispatch a competent engineer to fix the issue once and for all. After hearing me vent for about 5 minutes, and listening to the lady trying to empathise - she went and spoke to her manager. About 3 minutes later she un-holds me and informs me that VM are aware of a problem in the area as it's impacting "many customers", and that it was with the technical teams to look into. I asked her when it was reported, and she said, "My manager tells me quite a few customers had rang today from the area and it was already logged as a fault about an hour ago". That sounds questionable at best as today's drop-outs have been high for me but not considerably high, and what a coincidence that it gets escalated one hour before I call in on a Sunday evening - when I have been having the problem for almost 6 weeks. I have no faith that VM are actually going to fix anything without sending an engineer. The lady had no details or a complaint reference but did say that "the signal strength was running too high in the area". No idea what that means for my connection drop-outs but for what I know, it could be some standard patter to make me feel good.

VM are taking the biscuit if a whole area is impacted with such unreliable service. Nothing like this has happened before, and it feels the VM response is more live with it rather than fixing the issues. Anyhow, if the whole area was impacted then why did the screen notes not flag on the operators who should be fully area from my details that I am calling from a 'problem area'. I think she got rattled and spoke to her manager who suggested some baloney to feed me. What a farcical!

Anyway an engineer is booked for the next available slot - 12th June. It's the 4th today as the post dates, so 8 more days of Internet flip-flopping and frequent time-outs and router reboots. Thank Virgin Media - take my money and expect your customers to put up with shoddy customer service and a patchy service. If this was my company (located opposite VM's HQ in Hook btw) then heads would have rolled by now. Held to ransom by a company who could care less about service reliability and knows customers are locked in with their contracts and fast speeds. DO something credible to fix my problem and stop fobbing off customers! Enough is enough really.

STOP PRESS - I was ready to post this reply about 10 minutes ago - and low and behold - the connection timed out! BIT I had a feeling that would happen as the drop-outs are that predictable. Luckily I had copied my message into Notepad... like I am about to do for the second time so right about NOW.

p.s. the SH3 has a new feature when it points to a troubleshooting screen and asks you to click a button if you want VM to attempt to resolve the connection fault. When you it completes the remote checks, it tells me to 'contact the cable operator'. Even VM's on equipment has given up it would seem!

@punnorg
0 Kudos