Menu
scarletp
Up to speed
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Broadband kit to stop working if I do not upgrade.

Hi all,

Am a long time customer since pre NTL days and currently have a very ancient Ambit 25 modem along with a TPLink 54M wireless router.  Speed is 20MB.  I have had very few problems with this set up apart from being unable to use SKY 'On Demand' services. Husband blames my old broadband/Wi-Fi equipment and thinks we should change broadband and phone to SKY so everything is with the same provider. I think we should move everything to VM.

Now my VM kit is scheduled to die very soon I am trying to work out what to do and would welcome any thoughts please:

Is the Hub 3.0 different to the Superhub which seems to be slated?

If I do decide to stay with VM and upgrade to the new hub how likely is it we will then be able to connect to SKY 'On Demand' etc?

Finally - does my broadband speed remain at 20mbps after the hub upgrade or is there a free speed upgrade too?

Thanks for your time

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Andy1975
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband kit to stop working if I do not upgrade.

As a very unhappy longtime customer of VM i would say stay clear!! ask on the SKY forum and im sure someone will say the same about them. so its down to what do you get?...

When you get problems with VM it take months if not YEARS to fix.. problems with SKY take weeks or a couple months at most,so thats a + for SKY

Your SKY on demand will not work on VM from what i know of its workings, so thats a - for VM

The superhub 3 is not as much of a piece of junk as the superhub 1 was but its still junk, so a - VM

If you got the whole package from VM then the on demand would not be an issue, VM on demand breaks more often than a council worker does so bare that in mind.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Andy1975
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As a very unhappy longtime customer of VM i would say stay clear!! ask on the SKY forum and im sure someone will say the same about them. so its down to what do you get?...

When you get problems with VM it take months if not YEARS to fix.. problems with SKY take weeks or a couple months at most,so thats a + for SKY

Your SKY on demand will not work on VM from what i know of its workings, so thats a - for VM

The superhub 3 is not as much of a piece of junk as the superhub 1 was but its still junk, so a - VM

If you got the whole package from VM then the on demand would not be an issue, VM on demand breaks more often than a council worker does so bare that in mind.

0 Kudos
scarletp
Up to speed
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your thoughts Andy, your early response has certainly helped me and clarified some things. 

Regards

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have Virgin broadband and Sky TV (as I've never been impressed with Virgin's TV). Sky on demand has always worked for me, and should be fine on any Virgin connection, unless it's down to the age of your current modem.

The Hub 3 has some firmware problems and a latency bug which affects online gamers in particular, but for general web browsing and on-demand/streaming etc it should be fine. 

If Sky broadband is available in your area and can offer a decent speed, you could consider switching to them. I probably will as soon as it's available in my area.

0 Kudos
scarletp
Up to speed
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. The more I do my research the more I do feel like swapping completely to SKY as we can get their unlimited fibre in our area, either up to 35 or 75 Mbps I believe. Need to sweet talk husband to ring SKY though as that's in his name. Anything to do with broadband/WiFi has always been my baby and it just goes over his head so it's going to be a tricky conversation with SKY. It would be much less hassle and better deals offered if we could start all over again from scratch with either VM or SKY but that never happens sadly.
0 Kudos