Menu
PW60
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Broadband in Area 21

Our Broadband has been unusable for over 2 weeks. The 'fix' date keeps moving. There is no information as to the cause of the problem and when I check status on virgin media it has a green tick. We restart the router and have about 3 mins before it all grinds to a halt again. We have phoned many times and always have to go through the same questions. Signed up for SMS updates as offered by the welcome message on the phone but nothing received. Anyone else experiencing the same problem? Any update from Virgin Media?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband in Area 21

Hi PW60, 

Thanks for posting! I am sorry to learn that your broadband has been unusable for over 2 weeks. I can appreciate this can be annoying so apologies for any bother.

I've had a look from here and I can see that there's a large number of T3 time outs inside the Hubs logs and also that you're only showing as being connected to one upstream.

An engineer will be required to visit and investigate this further, I'll send you a PM (Purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with making the booking, it would be great if you could reply to me there and I'll get this all booked and secured for you.

Speak soon, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi PW60, 

Thanks for posting! I am sorry to learn that your broadband has been unusable for over 2 weeks. I can appreciate this can be annoying so apologies for any bother.

I've had a look from here and I can see that there's a large number of T3 time outs inside the Hubs logs and also that you're only showing as being connected to one upstream.

An engineer will be required to visit and investigate this further, I'll send you a PM (Purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with making the booking, it would be great if you could reply to me there and I'll get this all booked and secured for you.

Speak soon, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
PW60
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Engineer called and replaced our router. Helped but not solved the issue. We are still experiencing problems where the response becomes slower and slower and eventually hangs. Rebooting the router then clears the connection and we may get another 15 mins before it hangs again. Called 150 yet again and have been told everything will be sorted by 7th June at 3pm. We will see.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi PW60

Thanks for getting back in touch.

I'm glad the engineer replaced the router, however you are experiencing slow connection.

From checking your connection, I can see there is an SNR (signal to noise ratio) fault in your area which is causing intermittent connection. The reference number is F004417836 and with a review date of 17th June.

In regards to the slow speeds, are you able to complete a speed test through a wired connection to see what speeds you achieve? Do you get this issue through a wired and wireless connection? Have you tried a factory reset to see if that improves the connection?

Hope to hear from you soon
Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
PW60
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

We get the same results whether wired or wireless, it makes no difference.

I have tried a speed test, wireless gives a download speed of around 19 Mbps and upload of 1.1 Mbps

What do other people see when they do a test? I would be interested to compare.

0 Kudos
pureedfruit
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

6 months later the problems in Area 21 continue and are appearing in every bulletin board I look at.

It seems to me that there is a whole collection of issues here:

Area 21 appears to be vast, covering a great chunk of south London from Wandsworth in the west to Greenwich in the east and I have no idea how far south, and unsurprisingly there is a lot of variability within that area. I have recently written a good old fashioned, snail-mail, formal complaint to VM because the service here was down completely for me 1-3 December, allegedly because engineers were working “installing additional equipment to improve the service”. The latter is long, long overdue, and is to be welcomed, but it should be perfectly possible for them to do such work, test it without disrupting the current service, and then switch it into service in the middle of the night without creating mayhem.

And when they finally did get the system back up who was the last person to be told ? I don't think VM have the first idea about customer service. Now I am suffering the same poor service as many others are reporting, speeds hitting rock bottom in early evening, and being told that it is all down to congestion. Tell me something new.

The real questions are:

• what is actually causing that congestion ? Too many subscribers, too many subscribers trying to use the service at the same time, or too intensive use of the service like streaming TV/videos when they do use it. Most likely some combination of all three. And

• what is VM actually doing about it ? Not nearly enough is the short answer. It has its own staff predicting the likely forward loads, it is even deliberately increasing the forward load very substantially by pushing hard for triple and quadruple play customers. But

• is VM making the necessary investment in the existing network on a predict and provide basis ? No, not nearly enough it would appear. Instead it is investing a massive £3bn as part of project Ligtning to increase its customer base from 7 to 11 million i.e. buying new customers at a cost of £750 each, whilst it is spending only an estimated £0.5bn on upgrading the services for its existing 11m customers i.e. less than £50 a head.

What can one do about it ? Bestie's suggestion on another BB that everyone (who is unhappy) leaves seems a bit extreme, although it might temporarily improve the situation for those of us that remain .Smiley Wink

May I suggest that if we mount a concerted campaign to have VM invest a lot more in the existing network, even at the expense of slightly slowing down the investment in expanding the network, then it would be both to our advantage, and I suspect to VM's advantage. How? Well it is not going to help VM's cash flow if it gains 4,000 new customers but loses 1,000 existing customers, say, in the process. Moreover the continued publication of how unreliable the existing service is will not do a lot to encourage customers to switch from BT, which is who they are targeting,

So may I suggest that you start with a formal, written letter of complaint to

M/s Karen Ingram, Customer Service Director

Complaints, Virgin Media,

Matrix Court,

Llansamlet, Swansea,

SA7 9BB

It does not have to be long: you could simply state what poor service you are having, say that you are convinced that it is due to under investment in the existing infrastructure, which it is, and that you would like to see the existing investment rate tripled until such time as these problems are eradicated.

Why write rather than complain over the phone (which is what they want you to do)? If you complain over the phone you simply get someone trying to fob you off with whatever they think will work, and then you just become a statistic. You write a letter and VM will take you a whole lot more seriously.

If you are really keen you could also write to Robert Dunn, Chief Financial Officer orTom Mockridge, Chief Executive Officer, at

Virgin Media Head office

Communications House
Bartley Wood Business Park
Bartley Way
Hook
RG27 9UP

and make the point that gaining 4,000 new customers but losing 1,000 existing customers will not do their cash flow (a key financial) any good what so ever.

What is needed is for LOTS of people to write in so that the top brass becomes acutely aware just how many VM customers are really unhappy. They are almost certainly sheltered from that information. That includes everyone reading this post, then re-post it somewhere else and see how many more people you can get to write in.

And for those of you active on Twitter, then tweet away at #virginmedia. Their PR people will be tracking it.

Dillinger
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I've written to Tom Mockridge; but I thought he is in the Hammersmith office isn't he? Are you sure he's in Hook?

0 Kudos
pureedfruit
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dillinger

Who knows where any of them really are but if you write to HO they should make sure it gets to them