Menu
S25dcu
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Broadband drop out getting worse

Hi, my broadband seems to be getting worse and worse. Over the past months my connection had been dropping numerous times during the day. Having been off line for 4 days I was reconnected two days ago and since then the problem has got worse. Yesterday the connection dropped 11 times between 9am and 5pm. Trying to work on line is a nightmare. The information from Virgin infers there is a long running issue in the KT19 area but they can't tell me when it will be fixed. Has anyone got any better information? They booked an engineer for me today when I rang in but they cancelled the appointment as"this is a known issue in my area".

Working at home had become impossible and so I am going to be forced to change supplier - (allegedly) high broadband speeds are no good if the system keeps going down!

Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband drop out getting worse

Hi S25dcu,

Thanks for letting us know that  your broadband drop outs seem to be getting worse. I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have tested the connection from here and I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary no errors or time outs inside the Hubs logs, and all of your power levels are within the preferred ranges.

How are you connected, wired or wireless?

Are you still having these issues? If so, please respond to me here with a recent copy of  your Hubs logs for me to compare with the data we have here. You can find these by opening your internet browser, typing 192.168.0.1 into the address bar, before logging in in the top right hand corner it will say 'Router Status' click there and all the information needed is inside.

Take care, 

Thanks,

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
S25dcu
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Adam,

thanks for making contact.

There is still an issue, although it has improved since the New Year. Prior to that I was loosing the connection on average 6 times a day, the worst being 9. As I work from home and sometimes talk on line this was a major disruption.

Because the wireless signal into my office is poor from the router, I have a cable connection into a "booster" plugged into a socket, which uses the home wiring system as a link to a similar booster in a plug socket adjacent to the router and then a wire connection from the booster into the back of the router.

Attached is the log as requested.

Grateful for advice on how we can resolve the issue permanently.

Thanks
Dave

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hey S25dcu,

Thanks for getting back in touch. I hope you don't mind me replying, Adam's off today.

Sorry to hear that the issues are ongoing. Out of interest, is it just the device that's connected through the powerline adapter that's showing drops? Do you have any other devices connected (wired or wireless), if so are these reporting drops at the same time?

Do any of the lights on the hub change when the connection drops? If possible I'd try the hub in modem mode and try connecting something directly to the hub via ethernet at that time to see if drops still occur. I'd just like to rule out the internal network and see if we can narrow down the likely cause of the drops.

Get back to me when you can Smiley Happy

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
S25dcu
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kev,

That's difficult to tell since the drop is generally momentary and I'm only working on the laptop during the day.

Yesterday everything went down but that was an area fault. Things seem better but not yet perfect. Yesterday I lost the connection once at 10.23 am. The day before twice: 13.52 and 14.53.

I don't know of its related but internet speed is really poor. Yesterday during the day I recorded download speeds of 1.93 to 3.17! Today I got 3.34.

Thanks for looking into this.

Dave

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave, 

I've taken another look at this and note that your Hub is reporting low modem SNR. There is no associated issue with channel SNR or other upstream segment faults. So I think we'll need to get an engineer out to take a look. There's usually a very localised cause for this type of thing, faulty Hub or splitter for example. 
Of course this may prove to not be causing your disconnections but let's get it addressed and see what happens. Reply to my PM when you can, (purple envelope icon, top right of page) and I'll schedule an appointment for you.

Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos