Menu
Jangid
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Broadband down

Broadband has been down for 2 days in PE1 - service status page also down - is there a time for this to be fixed please?
0 Kudos
Thomask556
Dialled in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband down

whats your area code so i can have a look at the status of your area?  

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thomask556 wrote:

whats your area code so i can have a look at the status of your area?  

Area codes are billing/accounting related which covers more than one region, post code and totally useless in this context.

A full post code (since PE1 major post code still has ~1200 active minor codes) will allow anyone to access the OP's Service Status remotely.

Unfortunately VM SS page only typically reflects major Priority 1 problems affecting many users (eg 1000's) and not say dozens/few hundred on particular cable segment.

The OP has the following choices:

1. Wait for VM Support/ForumTeam response (currently around 10days)
  2. Ring 150/0345 454 1111  or 0800 5610056 depending on operational VM landline.
  3. Provide basic diagnostic details:    192.168.0.1(192.168.100.1) depending on default Router or ModemMode > RouterStatus (don't sign in)  then post
  • Information - Software Version
  • Downstream page
  • Upstream (but not Burst profile)
  • Network Log (redact any IP info)  
  •  Visual indication of all hub lights (ie solid,flashing, colour)
  • Confirm wall box to Hub cabling is "finger tight" with no obvious damage or bends.
Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
Thomask556
Dialled in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

if there connection is down then theres no stats to look at no power levels etc but would be beast to call or go on live chat i recommend the the live chat via the help section of website much better than calling them half the time cant even make them out over the phone still no uk based call centres  

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thomask556 wrote:

if there connection is down then theres no stats to look at no power levels etc ......

If there's no power on Hub or if DOCSIS chipset has a fault such as admin gui interface is not functional then even that truism is a useful diagnostic in itself. However in most other scenarios then access to basic (router status) diagnostics will still reveal some useful clues/indicators:

Eg (a spare ) SH2/VMDG485 with basic total WAN cable disco has bottom Power indicator solid and only Traffic indicator(up/down arrow) flashing GREEN.

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 16.34.54.png

This unit was last used in Router Mode and Wifi enabled so other thn 2.4 GHz and 5GHz wireless indicators at top then no other  indicators (specifically "Tick" READY) lit.  

Yet Status indicator reveals that Downstream is not locked:

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 16.55.59.png

and thus (obviously) no upstream and no provisioning. .  All levels will return NA when looking at Downstream/Upstream because no PRimary D/S channel is detected and until single D/S \primary channel locked then no DOCSIS 1 initial upstream either (so no green flashing "tick" indicator either).

The Network log is still available:

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 16.41.19.png

and reveals the fact that in this example the unit last had access to it's DHCP server back in July last year and since then has twice unsuccessfully attempted to power up and obtain a connection.

Yes if I had the time I could engineer upstream,downstream noise and several other faults that could illustrate DOCSIS 1 partial service etc etc on all 4 Hubs that have been released since 2010 and that would reveal both downstream,upstream levels and PRE/POST RS FEC errors but the fact that "Broadband is down" does not neccessarily mean there are no clues within the admin GUI stats!  

SH2AC/VMDG490 is very similar but SH3/VMDG505 has somewhat less intuitive front indicators and requires SNMP walkthru for RS stat but can still reveal a lot from it's stats/logs. 

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jangid, 

Thanks for letting us know that you're having some difficulty with your broadband being down, I apologise for any inconvenience.

I have tested things from here and I can see that all of your power levels are within the preferred ranges and there's no time outs inside the Hubs logs.

Are you still having these issues? If so, how are you connected, wired or wireless?

What does your Hubs light sequence indicate?

Would you please include a recent copy of your Hubs logs in your response for me to compare with the data we have here. You can find these by opening your internet browser and typing 192.168.0.1 into the address bar, before logging in it will say 'Router Status' in the top right corner, click there and all the information needed is inside.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos