Menu
Jacklia
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Broadband connection regularly dropping out

Our broadband connection regularly drops out and I've spoken to Customer Services about this several times, but the problem persists.

There is no issue with our wifi signal (we have a TP-Link router connected to the Superhub) as we can see that we are connected to the TP-Link router.  The issue appears to be with the Virgin broadband signal coming into the house.

We've tried removing the TP-Link and putting the Superhub back into router mode but the signal is too weak unless we are sitting beside it (even then it can be dodgy!)

There are no service issues shown for our area.

What can we do to get this working properly?  It's getting more and more frustrating!

Thanks

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband connection regularly dropping out

Hi Jacklia,

If this is an issue with your Virgin Media cable connection it would be helpful to see your power levels posted here.   Just type the URL  192.168.0.1  into you browser to access the hub's management screens.  Don't log in, simply click on Router Status and copy / paste Upload and Download statistics.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Jacklia
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave

Thanks for replying. Here is the info from our SuperHub VMDG480.

Downstream.png

Upstream.png

0 Kudos
Jacklia
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

....And it's done it again!  This is what I see on my laptop - but when I check the wifi info it tells me I am "connected and secured".

NoInternet.png

The internet comes back usually after a few minutes without us doing anything.

Any advice or suggestions please?

Thanks

Jackie

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi again Jackie,

I can't see your most recent image as it's a waiting Moderator approval.  Looking at your data, the Downstream power levels are certainly on the high side and this might be the cause of some instability.  The upper limit is generally regarded as 10dBmV and several of your channels are exceeding that. 

Upstream power levels are also quite high but within the specification of 31 to 51dBmV.  I do note however that one of the two channels is on 32QAM rather than 64QAM which might be symptomatic of some noise on the line.

Firstly check that the cable from your wall socket entry point to the back of the Hub is secure at both ends just to eliminate an obvious cause.

Otherwise I think a visit by a VM engineer is called for.  You can either stick around here and hope that a member of the Forum Team comes along and arranges a visit for you but that could take several days or you can contact VM via phone 150 on a VM phone or 0345 454 1111 on any other phone.

Electron
0 Kudos
Jacklia
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Dave.

The photo awaiting approval was a screenshot saying

There is no internet connection

Try:

- Checking the network cables, modem and router

- Reconnecting to wifi

- Running Windows Network Diagnostics

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET

I'll check the connections again and then make an engineer appointment - unless that screenshot helps you point me in the right direction!?

Cheers

Jackie

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I can see the screenshot now and it doesn't really help.  I think it's engineer time.

Electron
Jacklia
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jacklia, 

Thanks for getting in touch to let us know that you're having regular drops in connection, I apologise for any troubles incurred.

I have tried to run some checks on your connection from here however I was unable to locate any of your details via your forum account.

I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with diagnostics. Please respond to me there and I'll get this sorted for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

Jacklia
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Adam.  I've just replied to your PM.

Jackie

0 Kudos