Menu
SloMoMenu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Broadband Router is frequently resetting itself. Wifi is unavailable for 4/5 mins while it powers back up

My router resets sometimes 3/4 times an hour. As if someone had turned the power off/on. It then goes through its auto test routine before enabling wifi. By the time my devices connect again it has been 5 mins delay. This is quite disruptive. It has been happening for a few months now. I have put the router  in another power socket, ran all the diagnostics, checked all the connections and after the last communication with Virgin Media was given a new router which also has the same problem. Any one seen this? Seems to be the cable or the installation rather than equipment related. I have had ongoing problems with a very slow tivo box (also replaced, also still bad) might it be related? 

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Router is frequently resetting itself. Wifi is unavailable for 4/5 mins while it powers bac

It would help if you gave more information.

First, which model hub do you have?

Second, is the Tivo picture sort of breaking up?

Please post your modem stats. http://192.168.1001. then hit the ROUTER STATUS link. Please copy/paste the Upstream power, downstream power and Network Log so we can see if there is an obvious impairment.

Cheers

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
SloMoMenu
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Router is frequently resetting itself. Wifi is unavailable for 4/5 mins while it powers bac

Hello..Its a superhub VMDG480 (the tivo picture doesn't break up, picture is good, slow menus is the issue there)

Upstream Power Level 44.3 dBmV 48.5 dBmV N/A N/A

Down stream Power Level 2.4 dBmV 1.9 dBmV 1.8 dBmV 0.9 dBmV 2.1 dBmV 1.8 dBmV 1.3 dBmV 1.0 dBmV

Log is empty...Network Log First Time Last Time Priority Error Number Description

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If the Tivo picture was problematic, there could have been a physical cable fault. So that's ruled out, it would seem.

Is the upstream power steady at the values given? If you referesh the upstream power, is it moving up on eany of the channels towards the 50s? If so that would account for the modem resets, though I would have expected to see T4 events in the log. That said, the SH1 trioes to save memory by not giving priority to the log.

0 Kudos
SloMoMenu
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello Again,

Upstream power is solid on those values though I am unable to check prior to reset as there is no warning. Once it restarts all is good and the same again. The Tivo has an inline attenuator between the cable and box but I cannot see anything on the router

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

This'll need the Forum Team who do have tools to look into your circuit. But they take a few days to get to a thread. Calling India is pointless and will annoy you intensely.

Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Router is frequently resetting itself. Wifi is unavailable for 4/5 mins while it po...

Hi SloMoMenu, 

Thanks for getting in touch to let us know about your issues with your router frequently resetting itself, I apologise for any troubles incurred.

I have tested things from here and I can see some T4 time outs inside the Hubs logs, I would like to arrange for an engineer to investigate this further for you. I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required in order to proceed with making the booking.

Please respond to me there and I will get this all booked and secured for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
SloMoMenu
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Router is frequently resetting itself. Wifi is unavailable for 4/5 mins while it po...

Hello Adam, I have had no response from my replies to your PM so called the helpline. They say there is nothing wrong so I guess the poor connection is something that most customers tolerate. If you get any other complaints from my street I believe the problem lies between 60 and 58 as I have been and tested my neighbours connections. I no longer require a response as I have left VM network. Bye

0 Kudos