Menu
Mynamessi87
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Broadband Internet constantly disconnecting and reconnecting

For the past week I have been constantly disconnected and reconnected every 3-4 minutes. The process is consistent, where I will have good internet for 3-4 minutes and then it will disconnect and reconnect and the process will repeat (and it's unrelenting, it doesn't matter what time of day it is, it will consistently disconnect/reconnect every 3-4 minutes). 

This makes it impossible to play games, stream videos, watch films, do work online, etc and is becomming really frustrating. 

I did call a couple of times and the first chap mentioned my frequency was set incorrectly, so he would change it and everything would be fine. This made no impact at all. 

The second gentleman informed me that there is maintenance work being carried out in my area and this will occur until 21st January. It's a bit frustrating that no letter or email was sent ahead of time to alert me to this, but hey-ho. 

I'm posting here as...I can't help but feel this is something not solely down to ongoing maintenance, as my internet up until now has been perfect (pretty much). And if they were working on the line, wouldn't there be variable disconnecting.reconnecting? This seems almost like a rhythm...3/4 mins d/c...3/4 mins d/c...etc. 

Is there anyone who could have a bit more of a look into this? I can wait until 21st January, but if the internet is still like this come the 21st January then I will have no faith in anything Virgin are telling me, as the representative quite clearly promised me everything will be fine by 21st January. 

Apologies for the rant, I sometimes forget how essential a consistent internet connection is these days...

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Internet constantly disconnecting and reconnecting

Wired or wireless connection ? Wireless is notorious for giving problems if the environment is not great.

You could setup a TBB monitor and check the incoming supply 24 x 7   www.thinkbroadband.com/ping  This will give a visual indication of any loss of signal

0 Kudos
mardinium
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mynamessi87,

You've basically described my problem exactly, over the last week (Friday at 10am to be exact) my internet took a turn for the worst and hasn't changed since, I've called VM everyday since Friday and had a different response every time, The second line team mentioned work was being carried out but wouldn't explain what, all i was told to do was call back in 24 hours on every call.  Below is a screen capture of my pfsense firewall showing exactly when the problem started, clearly having an average packet loss of 5.08% isn't right.

I have an engineer booked for Monday so if i get any more news i'll update this post, hopefully its resolved by then.

VM.jpg

0 Kudos
Mynamessi87
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for responding- it's a wireless connection on all 4 appliances and all 4 are disconnecting at the same time. As I say, it used to be great for over a year, but recently (Thursday night) it has gone into this disconnect/reconnect cycle.

How do I go about booking an engineer to attend? I desperately need the internet to work consistently.

Regards,

Mynamessi87. 

0 Kudos
mardinium
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I think they got fed up of me calling so arranged one without me asking, that or the guy on the phone had no idea what the issue was so it was the easier option.  I would just give them a call (150 from a VM landline, or 0345 454 1111) and request one - if you've been dealing with this since Thursday its the least they can do for you.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mynamessi87,

Welcome to the Community!

Really sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with your connection.

I've run a diagnostic on your equipment and I can see an issue with your Downstream Power levels that's likely causing the problem. I've sent you a private message (purple envelope at the top right of your screen) so I can arrange for a technician to take a look.

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos