Menu
DJN1
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Broadband Drops Out Daily for a Few Seconds Every Time

My Virgin Media broadband keeps dropping out daily, for a few seconds at a time it seems.

Is anyone else experiencing the same problems, and can anyone (in particular someone from Virgin Media) help me find a solution please?

This is a real problem because we have to use EE's Wifi connection for our mobiles phones, and we use these reguarly for working at home.  Our calls are dropped and ended frequently no matter which mobile phone or which wifi hub we are using (our main modem/wifi being the SH3).  Now that I have started using Spotify to listen to music I also find that the streaming cuts out for a few seconds at a time several times each day.  Again, this happens on various devices and on different wifi routers, including the SH3.  All my wifi routers are wired to the SH3, and all use different SSIDs.  This has been happening ever since we had Virgin Broadband in December, is a major problem for us because it keeps dropping work calls and the audio part of Webex sessions, and I now believe is a symptom of a problem with the incoming Virgin Media broadband service.

stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Drops Out Daily for a Few Seconds Every Time

Do you have the same problem wired or is it just a wifi issue.

Assuming you get this problem wired, it may be worth going to 182.168.0.1 not logging in, but going to the hubs stats and posting here.

It may also be worth going to http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping and setting up a BQM as that can help identify if your getting regular disconnects etc. If you do set one you you'll have to disable the hubs firewall for a while so that it will work and you can get some info.

0 Kudos
DJN1
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Steve,

I haven't really tested it wired, but will look to play spotify from a wired device and see.  Good idea.

I forgot to mention that I did take a look at the logs, but they had not registered anything for the drops outs I've had today.

Did you mean 192 rather than 182 btw for the ip address?

I'll look at the Broadband site when I get more time, but might be a little technical for me given the limited time I have available (stopping firewall doesn't sound like something I should be doing), but I'm keen to get resolved and so will look next weekend.

Dave

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I did mean 192... well spotted Smiley Happy

sorry about that.

0 Kudos
DJN1
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

So I am still getting dropouts daily which causes anything streaming to stop for 5 to 10 seconds and the dropping of mobile (over wifi) calls, and the dropping of Webex sessions. So is verging on unusable really

i have read other posts about trial firmware upgrades being a solution. 

Is this something someone at Virgin Media could consider please?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi DJN1,

Hope all is well and apologies you are still experiencing intermittent connection.

As you are using the Hub 3 in modem mode and using the wireless from your own equipment, do they have any settings where you can change the wireless channel at all?

The next step would be to see if you have the same issue through a wired connection direct to the Hub without your equipment attached.

Did you create a BQM graph by any chance?

In regards to trialling firmware you can register here > Community Trialists Wanted! to be considered for any future trials.

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
DJN1
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Sam,

I have recently followed some of the advice from other threads and tried setting up my SH3 in modem only mode and using my old Draytek router.  That seems to have resolved the problem, albeit a bit frustrating that I now need to have two boxes on my desk and more cables.

Also, I suspect this has also resolved my printer problem ( http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Superhub-3-Printer-Loses-Wifi-Connection/td-... ) which again suggests some fixing needed in the SH3.

Do you happen to know if trial versions of firmware have fixed these two problems please?

Regards

Dave

0 Kudos