Menu
LexAdair
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Brand new customer - YouTube won't stream

We've just had Virgin installed ( 3 days ago ) for the first time in this house on the 50mb package, speed tests show we're getting a minimum of 50mb too, around the house on various devices which is fantastic!

One thing though, we can't stream YouTube videos whatsoever. YouTube loads, the thumbnails load, but as soon as you click a video it just shows the circle loader, without ever loading. Primarily tested on my iPhone 7plus. I've tried deleting and reinstalling the YouTube app, downloading a 3rd party app, and then trying it through Chrome directly to no avail.

Having the same problem with various other Android/Apple/PC/Mac devices throughout the house, some wired and some wireless - with exactly the same result. It's important to note when trying to troubleshoot on my iPhone I was the only one in the house, so it's not a case of our wifi being overcrowded with everyone on it.

This is a bit of an issue as with having two kids YouTube is their primary source of entertainment when they're allowed on their iPads.

Wondering if anyone else has this issue, or if anyone's managed to overcome this somehow? Happy to try anything as right now we've got two pretty miffed children. Is YouTube being throttled by Virgin? It seems that way, I don't understand how a solid 50+ meg connection can struggle to play a YouTube video... Weird.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Brand new customer - YouTube won't stream

VM dont throttle owt downstream  so its not that.

You CAN run into problems if you use a lot of upstream bandwidth- check for that (P2P or streaming TO twitch or the like are the usual culprits)

Without going into too many details, Youtube is one that SHOULD be fine as VM connect direct to a CDN, it doesn't come through the edges of the network which can cause issues.

Are you using any odd DNS settings? If so, it would be by device as HUB always wants to use the VM defaults, but if you had another provider you may have been using 3rd party DNS services set up by device?

0 Kudos
LexAdair
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Haven't touched the DNS at all unfortunately, running as was given.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Bizarre.  As you've said you've tried various devices, some wired, Ill assume the problem exists across all of them, and exists even when only one device is connected to the network.

Do you have a PC attached to the network (wired)

Can you run a trace-route to youtube.com?

0 Kudos
LexAdair
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I've got my iMac connected via Ethernet yeah, I'll test that tomorrow at some point.
0 Kudos
LexAdair
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

So just to update, I've found if a video is less than 15 minutes ( give or take ) it plays flawlessly, anything over - no ball. Just won't load at all.
0 Kudos
LexAdair
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Any help, anyone?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hey LexAdair,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

This certainly is a strange fault! Can you confirm this is happening on multiple devices? Do you have any security software which could be causing problems? Also, does this still happen if your Hub is in Modem Mode?

Please get back to us so we can investigate further.

Thanks again,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
LexAdair
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather, it certainly does happen across multiple devices unfortunately.

What do you mean by modem mode? Sorry, I'm a designer so clued up on tech- but not at all with home networks etc!
0 Kudos
chutwutt
Superfast
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Modem mode is when u use a separate router for the wireless and the Vm hub is just a modem

if the internet speed is fast everywhere else, youtube should be the same...

How r u watchin youtube......

try chrome browser....

So this happenes on all things connected on youtube.?

0 Kudos