Menu
Helpme17
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Booking an engineer

I am having difficulty in booking an engineer can anyone tell me what part of the virgin media web site I go on for this or is there a phone number ?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Booking an engineer

Call options:

from your Virgin Media phone or mobile
or
from any phone

Lines are open
8am - 10pm, 7 days a week

*For call costs to our team from a Virgin Media home phone, visit virginmedia.com/callcosts. Call costs from other networks and mobiles may vary.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Helpme17,

Welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. What sort of problems are you having that require a technician? I can help you out if you'd like?

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Helpme17
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Josh,

I have tried customer services a couple of times to try and book an engineer to come out to cut off excess cable that is causing signal interference which is causing the broadband to not work on occasions. Saturday night it just wouldn't connect but yesterday it worked after a few try's of switching off and on of the router box. I have had to make as neat a job of tying the cable to keep it from getting squashed as it has been hidden out of view the best it can be but it's not ideal and believe it will work so much better if the excess is taken away.

If you can help that will be great 😀

Thanks
Susan
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

having the cable shortened can actually cause more harm than good, since when the engineer installed it should have checked the signal levels in relation to the length of cable used etc.. i would be checking to see if there is an issue with signal levels to do this if you could goto http://192.168.0.1 clicking router status top right [no need to login] and if copy/paste the downstream, upstream, network log dont worry about the formatting we can easily read it.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Helpme17
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The cabling is actually the original cable that Telewest put in before Virgin Media took over so as you can imagine it is quite old now, so you don't reckon it is the excess but I noticed that when I unravelled the signal became stronger although the way it had been tied up it did have a couple of kinks in it which I had to straighten out and tie up a bit looser. It's a bit like a mic or speaker cable if you don't roll them up properly the cabling inside can get damaged. Anyway it sounds as though there is nothing we can do with the cable apart from keep it tied up out of the way.

Thanks
Susan
0 Kudos
Helpme17
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The cable for the broadband has been moved slightly from one room space to another that is why we have excess cable.

Thanks
Susan
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello Susan,

Thanks for getting back in touch and explaining more about your set-up. I think it would be a good idea to get an engineer out to double check your cables just to ensure everything is performing as efficiently as it can be.

I'll drop you a PM (purple envelope, top right) to confirm a visit.

Speak soon.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Helpme17
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

After a week of waiting for someone to get back to me we have managed to get a booking sorted out.

Thanks
Susan
0 Kudos
Helpme17
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi just so that you know having the cable shortened has majorly improved the signal from the router box, and it took dogged determination to get an engineer booked, but eventually got it sorted.

Thanks
Susan
0 Kudos