Menu
danwellman
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Blocking websites using superhub 2

I've got one of the new superhub 2 routers. I want to block certain websites so that any user on any device accessing the internet through my connection will not be able to view these sites.

Direct domain blocking would be Ok as there are specific sites I want to block, but also regex based blocks, so that any sites with particular words in the title can also be blocked, would be great also.

Blocking is adequate, ideally I'd like to redirect also, so that the user is aware their efforts are actively being foiled Smiley Wink

Is this possible on the superhub 2 devices?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Blocking websites using superhub 2

Unfortunately there isn't. 

OpenDns on the devices is the best bet - has to be a PC or laptop though for the setup

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos

All Replies
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Unfortunately there isn't. 

OpenDns on the devices is the best bet - has to be a PC or laptop though for the setup

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
danwellman
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Ok, thanks. How about having a different router sat between the superhub and the rest of the devices? And configure it on that. Is that possible?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

You can put the SH into modem mode and use your own router yes - so long as the router you choose supports it in its firmware

i recommend the ASUS range of routers if you are in the market for a new one

Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Danwellman,

Unfortunately the keyword and domain block are no longer features on the new superhub 2. They may be implemented in a later firmware but I'm not sure at present. Gary_dexters suggestion of OpenDNS is indeed your best bet with this one. Whether on PC or router.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

danwellman
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Ok great, thanks guys Smiley Happy

So, openDNS on the router, is this supported on superhub2? Is it easy to setup? 

I think I did ask one time about openDNS on superhub 1 as I wanted to serve content from my home machine but at the time it wasn't supported, has that changed?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Danwellman,

I'm afraid it isn't supported on either. There have been many requests for this feature to be added but at present we don't know whether it will be implemented.

Hope this helps

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

You would need to get your own non-VM router and connect it to the SH in modem mode as the SH does not support changing of DNS

danwellman
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Can anyone recommend a specific router known to work with Superhub in modem mode with comparable wifi speed/range and which supports openDNS?

0 Kudos
Treboul
Up to speed
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

What's your budget can recommend the Asus RT-N66U but you may find the £100+ price tag a bit steep
0 Kudos