Menu
Kesto
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Blacklisting of IP

I recently have been prevented from accessing ebay and a number of other sites. I contacted Ebay how said not us then tried using my mobile to acces ebay which worked. This lead me to belive it is a virgin problem ( this was on all my devices), contacted virgin ( in India seem virgin have moved there ) got the usual switch off thry this and that, then told virgin do not block any acces to sites. I then decide it must be my IP is blacklisted in the network checked to find on SORB it was. Went back to Virgin to asked if my IP could be change to be told just do a factory reset. This did not fix it as that does not reste ti WAN ip.

Contacted Virgin again in India get get the story we do not block access to any site, I them asked them to change way WAN ip which took time for them to agree, told would take about an hour. Well 5 hours now no Change. so much for technical service. It seems that to find out what goes wrong on the network when you are a Virgin customer you must do net diagnosis. By the way I was told that Virgin use dynamic Ip's and from reading other blogs says that switching off th hub and turning it back on will update the IP, wrong on Virgin it does not change as it has a lease period and from my experience you will get the same Ip back. Turns out you end up with a fixed IP.

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Blacklisting of IP

Which DNS are you using and have you tried different browsers?  as some DNS's have their own blacklist   https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+reset+your+DNS

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Whilst the IP is dynamic they tend to be sticky, so you will need to turn off the hub for a few days until the 7 day lease expirers, even then you might still get the same IP. VM are very unlikely to change your IP, it looks like you were fed a lot of rubbish by the offshore call center (no suprise there) as they cannot change your IP address even if they wanted, as they have not got the tools.

I would post a trace route to EBay, which may help.

Putting the hub into modem mode will give you a different IP address. It would be worth doing so as if sucessful would indicate that it is probably Ebay blocking your IP, not VM.

It is not uncommon for IP addressrs to get caught up in a Site's block lists by mistake. I would contact EBay again as as them if they are blocking a specific IP address (your address).

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Run cmd with
tracert www.ebay.co.uk

then
nslookup www.ebay.co.uk
nslookup www.ebay.co.uk 8.8.8.8
nslookup www.ebay.co.uk 4.2.2.1

then try setting your DNS to 8.8.8.8 or 4.2.2.1
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kresto

Are you by any chance getting messages similar to this

Access Denied You don't have permission to access "http://www.ebay.co.uk/" on this server. Reference #18

If so, you need to chase eBay and get them to dig deeper.

Messages such come from the website you are trying to connect to.  It's been determined from other threads that the problem is down to the tripping of security features on the akami servers that eBay and other sites use.

Being blacklisted on SORBS - is unlikely to have caused this.  You don't say which SORBS list you are on but I rather suspect that it is the DUHL.  Virtually every residential user is on this blacklist, as it denotes addresses that are allocated by DHCP that should not be hosting mail servers.  It is not used to for general website blocking.

As for being told by first line support that they would change your IP.  Neither they nor second line (which includes the Forum Team) has the ability to do this as they don't have direct control over the DHCP server.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Kesto
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Same problem on laptop desktop and android phone plus more than one site I access.

0 Kudos
Kesto
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Happening on more than ebay
0 Kudos
Kesto
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

What should running these tell me?
0 Kudos
Kesto
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

This is happening on more one site I access.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Can you provide a list?

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos