Menu
Greenpalmer
Dialled in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Backup & Restore Missing After SH2 AC Firmware Update

Since the recent firmware update on the Superhub 2 AC there is no longer the ability to Backup and Restore the hub settings.

It used to be under Advanced Settings and is pretty important - I have lots of DHCP reservations and port forwarding settings that I want to be able to restore if the hub is reset.

Why was it removed and can we have it back please.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Backup & Restore Missing After SH2 AC Firmware Update

Looks like they are thinking many people would have anything to save plus people moving to another different super hub/hub that would not allow your backup config...so only one thing for it...besides complain...

0 Kudos
FleurDainty
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I can't believe Virgin would be so stupid as to remove this feature. I have 5 phones, 5 tablets and 3 laptops all connected on wifi using mac ids. Now all must be fed in manually again. Cheers Virgin for removing something so obviously useful and wasting so much of my time. NOT happy!

0 Kudos
IanT1945
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Telephone support told me today (16 January 2017) that it had been removed (temporarily, I hope) because VM software people had discovered that it was buggy.  Obviously required by anyone who wants to configure the router in any way.

In the course of my discussion, pointed out that the firmware version number never changes to indicate an update, nor is there a resource for update notes.  He told me that VM monitors all posts in this forum, so let's hope that they action this one as soon as possible.

0 Kudos
pyrotenax
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Take screenshots and/or write them down. No point restoring a backup if it has incompatible settings or conflicts with the new firmware flash...

Can I just restore my saved settings after I do a factory default reset?
No. The idea behind a factory default reset is to have your router start using the NEW default values. If you restore your saved settings, you will overwrite those new values with the old ones, and you are back to square one.

This is similar to having a PC with a corrupted Windows installation. If you reformat, and immediately after you restore a Ghost/TrueImage/Clonezilla backup on top of the reformatted Windows, you are back to where you were before you did all that work.

Running ASUS RT-AC88U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware
0 Kudos
FleurDainty
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Fair enough, but only to a point. Maybe virgin should allow a higher level back up and restore of just passwords, MAC codes, names, etc, on a future revision?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

FleurDainty wrote:

Fair enough, but only to a point. Maybe virgin should allow a higher level back up and restore of just passwords, MAC codes, names, etc, on a future revision?

I believe we all naively under estimate the "change control" and "resource" required for CPE Firmware Team to even provide a minimum "consistently reliable" VM feature overlay to Hub basic firmware version let alone incorporate these obvious suggested features!

In 7 years from using/testing/trialing SH1/VMDG480, SH2/VMDG485, SH2AC/VMDG490 and SH3/VMDG505 and with frequent requests similar to this I've never seen any evidence of a publically available "firmware" template parser between Hub models and occasionally the major point firmware releases on same Hub h/w model were not backwards compatible!

Essentially CPE development will have their own parser template but because there is no official support process for this then it can't be offered to users. Therefore each user needs to "backup" the firmware binary BUT ALSO deploy individual change control and manual screenshots of configuration changes.

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
FleurDainty
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Virgin may 'naively under estimate' how many customers might migrate to another provider. Alienating customers is not good practice, regardless of the trials of the 'CPE Firmware Team' you mention. The next time I have to spent 45 minutes manually re-inputting all my setting, into the same router, my customer loyalty will be tested.

0 Kudos
IanT1945
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

< No point restoring a backup if it has incompatible settings or conflicts with the new firmware flash >

Surely not ? All settings are by user input. If I re-enter them, I *will* be back where I started - as I want. If any old users settings are incompatible with new firmware (but why should they be ?), the new firmware should trap and re-parse/handle them. Wasn't that the thinking behind the previous option to save and restore ?
Deangorton
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Have Virgin got a ***** screw loose!

I've got a Superhub 3 I can't use because they won't let me change the LAN IP address or keep my custom wifi settings, and now a Super Hub 2 which I can't backup/restore.

I could of course buy another router and put the virgin doorstop into modem mode.....Or I could take my business elsewhere!!!!!

I've already cancelled my virgin TV package last year and taken that business else where, the only reason I kept them as my internet provider was because it would have been more work to move, NOT ANYMORE!

0 Kudos