Menu
greghlondon
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

BT sockets and fiber

Hello,

We have just bought Virgin Media fiber and got it setup with the quick start installation. We found out that our rented flat (which we can't go drilling holes in) has BT sockets in each room (we initially mistook these for RJ45 Ethernet ports). Can we get an engineer to transfer these to RJ45 connectors or does it require total rewiring? Or can the engineer do that too with permission of the landlord?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: BT sockets and fiber

you need a coax cable back to the vm network. the internet is not supplied over rj45. the engineer should of come to install the cabling (with permission of the landlord)
0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Even if you wanted to put Ethernet cables in every room, wired back to a router/switch it would not be just changing the faceplate. Telephone wires while solid like Ethernet cables are only 4 wires, loosely twisted together, whereas Ethernet cabling are 8 wires (white/orange, orange, white/blue, blue, white/green, green, white/ brown, brown) with each coloured "pair" tightly twisted together.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
greghlondon
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, I should have said that the internet works fine, it's not an issue of supplying the internet to the box, it's an issue of extending the internet through to other rooms.
0 Kudos
greghlondon
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ok thanks. I'll call them up and ask if an engineer can be called in to replace the cabling.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

VM won't put Ethernet into every room (if I've understood you correctly). Tudor above has more or less explained why.

The only way I can see of putting Ethernet into multiple rooms id by the use of Powerline adapters.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos