Menu
deeayyelljay
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

BROADBAND ISSUE

I had virgin installed yesterday as a new customer with tv phone line and a 100mb hub 3 0. As i have moved from bt my phone line is disabled as well oddly. My connection is at 6mb dl speed and 3mb upload speed, an agent from virgin said to wait 24 hours for the firmware to update as my router has come straight from the warehouse. Ive nowhere near reached my promised 70mb - 100mb, i cannot phone anyone without a phone line so PLEASE HELP!!!!!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: BROADBAND ISSUE

The Hub would of updated its firmware to the latest virgin when you first connected it, what the agent said is nonsense as unlike VDSL a cable connection does not have a settling in period and should deliver the speed you are paying for instantly. It sounds like you may be in an area with too many customers and the network can't cope, when you find a way call virgin, there phone service doesn't use BT sockets so they should of installed a new white box when they did your broadband. If you are in an area with over utilisation then I suggest you use your 2 weeks grace period to leave virgin, otherwise you could be dragged a long with poor service for the entirety of the contract. Hopefully its something more simple, are you using a wired connection to do the speed test?
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Well do you have a device you would be able to connect with a cable? Wifi can be very unreliable in certain situations, so its always best to do a speed test using wired that rules out any interference and gives you the actual speed your getting, if we could establish that the broadband is working as it should be (fingers crossed) then we could troubleshoot the wifi speeds.

All Replies
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The Hub would of updated its firmware to the latest virgin when you first connected it, what the agent said is nonsense as unlike VDSL a cable connection does not have a settling in period and should deliver the speed you are paying for instantly. It sounds like you may be in an area with too many customers and the network can't cope, when you find a way call virgin, there phone service doesn't use BT sockets so they should of installed a new white box when they did your broadband. If you are in an area with over utilisation then I suggest you use your 2 weeks grace period to leave virgin, otherwise you could be dragged a long with poor service for the entirety of the contract. Hopefully its something more simple, are you using a wired connection to do the speed test?
deeayyelljay
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Im using wi-fi and its not reaching further than 10mb down and 2 up. Yeah i had the white box installed, its wierd because on my phone wifi options it says network speed is 74mb. Im so confused as virgin is my only available hope of fibre, thanks for replying, what shall i do?

0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Well do you have a device you would be able to connect with a cable? Wifi can be very unreliable in certain situations, so its always best to do a speed test using wired that rules out any interference and gives you the actual speed your getting, if we could establish that the broadband is working as it should be (fingers crossed) then we could troubleshoot the wifi speeds.
deeayyelljay
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Well i dont have a long enough ethernet to do that, im glad im online but im stuck, really jus want what i signed up for!

0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It might be worth changing the wifi channel in your hub settings about a little and see if you note any improvement, without you having a laptop or something you could connect wired we can only really attempt to see if there is any wifi issues for the slow performance, I assuming your using fairly modern devices to connect wirelessly, some ancient ones only ever supported very slow speeds but I don't think this is the issue here anyway
deeayyelljay
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ive tried changing channels with no luck however disabling the ip flood detection and firewall boosted me up to 14mb and 4mb upload. Im using my ps4 for everything 

0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Are you using the PS4 to do a network speed test?
deeayyelljay
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Im using speedtest.net app on my tablet, it has the same results as testing connection on ps4

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hey there deeayyelljay,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear that you're getting slow speed test results from your tablet and PS4. Ideally we need to see results from a hard-wired test, this is to establish if this is a wireless issue, or a fault with the connection overall. Are you able to do an Ethernet test? I can send you a cable if you need one.

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos