Menu
ocoro02
Joining in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

B/band problems for over a month - SuperHub 2 faulty?

OK, I've had issues for over a month now. Typically around 10-20% packet loss, latency is all over the place - sometimes pinging a 'near' site (i.e UK is typically around 20ms (good) but sometimes I see latency increase to a second or more for a while, then it settles back down.

Things have been quite good for a few days, until this morning where I was getting 50% packet loss, again weird latency and also the Superhub just seemed to be crapping out completely and becoming unreachable on the LAN, despite status lights all appearing fine and no unusual log entries.

The fact the SuperHub (2) seems to be becoming non-responsive suggests to me it's faulty. I usually use it in modem mode but today I switched to modem/router mode and isolated it to a network with just one PC and an ethernet connection. Same problems, becoming non-responsive (no ping response, unreachable on http port 80 from the PC). 
But now, it's absolutely fine again! I just know it's going to break again though.

I'm posting on the forum because I wasn't sure if there was a dodgy firmware update (it's V1.01.31, h/w version is 3.11 though it says SuperHub 2), or whether there was something else happening WAN-wise. I'm in the Twickenham area (TW2).

0 Kudos
mjross
Tuning in
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: B/band problems for over a month - SuperHub 2 faulty?

I had the same but it was resolved by rebooting.  I was away from home at the time but eventually a mod said they could have rebooted it remotely.  I suggest you ask again or 'report' your post to a moderator and point out that you got no reply.  Good luck.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi ocoro02,

Thanks for posting on the community.

Sorry to read that you are experiencing issues with your broadband connection and for the late response.

I've checked your connection, the line and hub have come back as fine. There are no faults reported and the network segment is running stable.

If you are still having issues with latency can you create a Broadband Quality Monitor please as this will check the performance of the connection?

I can see that the Super Hub is currently in modem mode, have you notice the router being unresponsive since you last posted?

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
ocoro02
Joining in
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi - apologies, I should've posted earlier. I've had quite a lot of discussion with Virgin support over the last few weeks (well, 3 weeks ago and more) and there was a general problem in the area. The last I heard was the review date for the trouble ticket would be November 30th (sorry I don't have the ticket number to hand). The packet loss is no longer an issue but I do find speeds fall quite dramatically at peak times, typically 6-7pm and ping latency increases by a large amount, typically 1 second to a near server (normally 10-20ms). This is usually fairly brief and not really causing any problems for me.

Modem/router have been fine! I do notice my external IP address has changed in the last few days to a completely different subnet so looks like some rearrangement has been going on.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi ocoro02,

Thanks for getting back to me I appreciate it.

I'm glad you have been calling through to us to discuss this issue further.

From looking at the fault you mentioned, you are no longer affected by this as there has been work completed which saw you move cables. At the moment the traffic is low which is good, however we will have more data within the next few weeks due to is being a new cable. If you can monitor the connection for me please and if you notice any issues, let us know and we can check the network again for you.

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
ocoro02
Joining in
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

OK, it's started happening again! Yesterday (afternoon I think) connection dropped completely and only a power off/on of the SuperHub fixed it.  This morning I'm getting around 5-10% packet loss and download speeds of around 2Mb/s (I think the connection basically keeps dropping - my plan is 100Mb/s by the way). Upload speeds are fine though at around 5.5-6 Mb/s.    Latency is fine though.    Problem comes and goes - fine right now, broken a couple of minutes ago.

0 Kudos
mjross
Tuning in
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Did you create a Broadband ping graph as they suggested?
0 Kudos
mjross
Tuning in
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Ae01b7aca19641c28872fc1b2be6fd9b

0 Kudos
ocoro02
Joining in
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I've started a ping monitor now.  Will post it when I get enough data.

0 Kudos
ocoro02
Joining in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

OK, here's my ping monitor for 17-18 November. It's not pretty.

80964c316960af5228c59f9d0dacacbb-18-11-2016.png 

0 Kudos