Menu
fadsarmy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Asus RT-AC68U and Superhub 2ac/Superhub 3 Repeater Mode

Hi. I've been trying to extend my parent 5GHz Superhub 2AC network using RT-AC68U in repeater mode but to no avail. They both link up fine and I can connect to the new 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks but there is no internet, not even with ethernet. I know I'm doing everything right because I've done this successfully many times with its predecessor, RT-N66U. Extending my 2.4GHz network works fine but I need the 5GHz extending. I've also tried this with my neighbours 5GHz Superhub 3.0 network, with his permission of course, and again with no luck. Has anybody any idea of what's going on? I've only had the AC68U for a couple of days so may be I should get a refund.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Asus RT-AC68U and Superhub 2ac/Superhub 3 Repeater Mode

my reply assumes that Ethernet between hub & router is not in the equation.

Might it be the case that the hub's 5GHz is not reaching the router? If you did the repeater mode in the same room as the hub, does this still happen? And are you sure that the hub 5GHz is advertising?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
fadsarmy
Tuning in
Message 3 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for your prompt reply. The router is in the room directly above the hub. I've had the N66U performing this task for a couple of years and now I've got the AC68U to replace it. I'm not doing anything different to when I setup the reliable N66U. I've also tried setting it up in the same room as the hub, both wired and wirelessly. The 5GHz is definitely advertising and reaching the router because it works in media bridge mode.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 27
Flag for a moderator

To be sure of what you're saying ....

The wireless relay for 2.GHz is advertised and has Internet connection.

The wireless relay for 5GHz is advertised but has no Internet connection.

What have you done with SSIDs? I would have had them different. I have the same equipment but can't try anything before Sunday.

0 Kudos
stokeyjock
Tuning in
Message 5 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Got almost the same problem, was using the original Superhub in Modem mode and the RT-AC68U as a Router.

Been pretty reliable until yesterday when the Superhub couldnt seem to issue an I.P address to the router.

After a few restarts and hard resetting I gave up and called Virgin, after 15 minutes on hold I gave up.

Have now resorted to using the Superhub exclusively and its dropping the connection every 20 minutes or so.

Am gonna have to bite the bullet and call Virgin tomorrow.

0 Kudos
fadsarmy
Tuning in
Message 6 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I appreciate your help. My router connects to the 5ghz of the hub (ssid VIRGIN5G). The connection is successful because the router settings confirm it. My router transmits ssid xxx (2.4ghz) and xxx5g (5ghz).

I can connect my phone and computer to xxx and xxx5g but there is no internet. Even when I connect to ethernet of router there is no internet.

If the router connects to the 2.4ghz of the hub (ssid VIRGIN) then everything works as it should.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 27
Flag for a moderator

All this coded stuff. I asume that xxx5g is different from VIRGIN5G. Right?

If Ethernet to Ethernet doesn't work, you are connecting LAN - LAN port not WAN port of router?

I'll try all this on SUnday. I'm usually in modem mode so I can avoid all this hassle with VM<'s el-cheapo-get-you-going hub.

0 Kudos
fadsarmy
Tuning in
Message 8 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi. Sorry for the delay. VIRGIN5G is the advertised 5ghz network of my hub. The router RT-AC68U, in repeater mode, connects to the VIRGIN5G (may have to be done manually as search sometimes does not detect 5ghz networks). The router now advertises 2.4ghz (xxx) and 5ghz (xxx5g) (xxx can be any name that you set). Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 27
Flag for a moderator

fadsarmy wrote:
Hi. Sorry for the delay. VIRGIN5G is the advertised 5ghz network of my hub. The router RT-AC68U, in repeater mode, connects to the VIRGIN5G (may have to be done manually as search sometimes does not detect 5ghz networks). The router now advertises 2.4ghz (xxx) and 5ghz (xxx5g) (xxx can be any name that you set). Hope this helps.

.... and to complete the picture, although the router is advertising xxx5g, no Internet is received on a target device, but xxx gives you Internet.

If that's right, I 'll try and set that up Sunday evening.

0 Kudos
fadsarmy
Tuning in
Message 10 of 27
Flag for a moderator

The router is advertising xxx and xxx5g but neither gives you internet including ethernet.

I had this exact setup before with the RT-N66U and never had any problems for years.

0 Kudos