Menu
56boneshaker
Tuning in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Arris tg2492lg

Have above router and am having problems of lagging( if its called that ) to a ps4.

tests show below 1 MB download and less on up.

Looked at powerline adapters,but local curry's suggested finding the N rating for router first.

Cant find manual online so can anyone tell me the rating please of router.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
56boneshaker
Tuning in
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Arris tg2492lg

Ok,ps4 is connected wirelessly to hub.

Did work better in same location.

Hub is at front of home,ps4 at rear  ( approx 30 feet )

Did connect with ethernet cable resulting increase for a while then dropped.

Did consider a wifi range extender but said a n300 is to low for amount of devices being used.

And suggested finding what n rating router is,suggesting i would probably need some thing like 1700 +.

Things like streaming,netflix and other devices would take priority over ps4.( all what guy said )dont know if that is right or not.

0 Kudos

All Replies
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

It is rated AC which is better than N

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I think you need to tell us more about your situation.

Presumably the PS4 is connected wirelessly to the Hub 3. Yes?

Did it ever work well with the PS4 in the same location?

Where is the Hub 3 in relation to the PS4?

What happens if the PS4 is taken close to the Hub 3? Or connected by Ethewrnet cable?

Powerline is a good solution provided that the actual circuit between your home and the VM end is working well.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
56boneshaker
Tuning in
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ok,ps4 is connected wirelessly to hub.

Did work better in same location.

Hub is at front of home,ps4 at rear  ( approx 30 feet )

Did connect with ethernet cable resulting increase for a while then dropped.

Did consider a wifi range extender but said a n300 is to low for amount of devices being used.

And suggested finding what n rating router is,suggesting i would probably need some thing like 1700 +.

Things like streaming,netflix and other devices would take priority over ps4.( all what guy said )dont know if that is right or not.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Sounds to me like the guy sort of understood stuff, but not enough.

1/
Range extenders are generally bad news because the halve the speed due to relay functions. Also they halve the speed they can get not necessarily the speed if they were sitting next to the Hub.

2/
If speed dropped with Ethernet cable, then there might be a utilisation issue in your area. The VM bods, when they get to your thread in a few days will be able to say if that's the case.

3/
I am in no doubt as to what should be done if there is a wireless-through-wall issue in your house (which is likely). That would be a Powerline solution. The base unit would be Ethernet only (from the Hub); the other side of your home would use a WiFi Powerline Adapter (with an Ethernet poet available on it if you wanted to use that). In my experience, maximum you'll get out of that, all other things functioning well, would be 90 meg downstream.

4/
Regarding priority, the Hub does not allow you to set priorities for services you are using. A third paerty router would allow that. So your PS4 gaming would be contending with streaming and it might tempt you into thinkng that streaming has priority. If you bought a good spec third party router, you could prioritise the PS4 in the upstream direction (what you send) but you would have kless control over what is coming down from the Internet.

HTH

0 Kudos
56boneshaker
Tuning in
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Ok.A test was done this morning with only a desktop ( idle ) and a laptop plus ps4 powered up.results showed a few hundred kb's up speed and 1.5 MB ish download.

Obviously there is a problem either with internet or ps4.

Once again Sephiroth and others thanks for replies.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I wouldn't expect network congestion in the morning. So perhaps there's a line impairment.

Please confirm that your speed test on a single device (whether laptop, desktop, PS4) was performed by Ethernet cable to the Hub. Ethernet is the only acid test for checking circuit contention.

Anyway, to assess line impairment, please browse to 192.168.0.1

Halfway down the screen, click CHECK ROUTER STATUS

Copy/paste the downstream & upstream power levels and the network log. We might be able to spot something.

0 Kudos
56boneshaker
Tuning in
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Can not use 192.168.0.1 as will not accept password.

Tests done on desktop = 212.52 Mb cabled

test done on ps4 = 1.5 ish MB wireless

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

So we know it's not a congested circuit. Is that 1.5 MB/s or 1.5 Mb/s on the PS4? Was the PS4 right by the Hub? Was the PS4 using 2.4GHz or 5GHz wireless?

Do you have another wireless device to test right close to the Hub?

0 Kudos
56boneshaker
Tuning in
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Sephiroth,sorry did'nt yesterday.

Did test 8 feet from router with Toshiba laptop =50.77 mbps download , 12,33 mbps upload.

Also Apple ipad        =  30.63 mbps dl, 11.10 mbps upload.

And the pc again     =   217.02 dl,12.41mbps upload.

All done at same time one after the other.

0 Kudos