Over the last year (and likely since the 200mb upgrade) has anyone else noticed how we are getting more and more outages/failures in the area.
I am currently getting DL:2mb/UL:11mb instead of the 180mb+ I normally get..
It also seems that I have to turn on and off the SHUB every couple of days else the connection becomes lossy (or should that be lousy) and less responsive, used to be rock-solid- so disappointed Virgin..
I have just completed the normal IDC phone tango, and supposedly they have put my signal frequencies higher so that I can get some service - must admit I think they just remotely recycled the shub. But hey I guess 2mb is better than 0mb.
An engineer is also supposedly coming out tomorrow to do some diagnostics in the area to see what is causing such high fluctuations.. I look forward to my call tomorrow. Hopefully the call comes from the engineer and not customer services, else they will have to wait in the queue behind the service reps that have promised but have as of yet not returned my calls.. The last time I was mis-sold Sky Movies.. I had a melt-down for that and they offered me free movies instead- I declined.. Instead I asked for a call to explain what reprimand happened to the sales-rep who directly lied over 5times to me, I guess that response will come soon.. very soon.. is that a pig-flying..
Back to the broadband...
1) It does surprise me that for an area issue, it still only gets an engineer out the next day, I would have thought if an area is affected it would merit an immediate response from Virgin since multiple customer must be getting furious.
2) Being the curious cat I am, I asked about compensation, I was told that since I have service I would get nothing unless the engineer decides that a full-outage-fault has occurred.. I guess the timer would start tomorrow whenever 'said' engineers turns up. Also Id like to argue that 2mb of 200mb is a complete loss of service.. have you ever had to contend with two kids trying to steam a movie on 2mb. Maybe I'll get them to call up next time.
Anyway, since I'm not sure this will even post on my current connection, I'll leave it there.. oh sorry one more..anyone Tivo Box getting slower and slower to start up? hummm maybe there's a connection - or lack of
be curious if anyone else is noticing the trend..
Oh and the engineer said that he was fed up of the company over subscribing and getting them to sell to customers when they were on-site...
Re: Area26-GU2 failiures, reboots and general moans :p
guess I needed another Tango after all.. after finding that my broadband was even slower and more lossy/lousy I am on the phone right now.. I can write this as I am on hold again.
Rohit seems nice, but he does know much, I've now done a hard reset of my SHUB, and to his shock I am still only getting 2mb download. Its OK he did count to a 100 for me to make sure that I held it for long enough. He also calls me mate so that's great..
He also tells me that the engineer has already been, and no faults were found.. It was nice the engineer decided not to disturb my beauty sleep and ring me. Then again something tells me that the engineers that he says was booked for yesterday (not this morning) never arrived.. actually I doubt it was ever booked..
after 5mins Im being told that I'll have an engineer come to me, but thats in 4 days time! Nice..
Not happy waiting to speak to a manager now! Been told hes in a meeting so have to wait for him, yeah right. Thankfully the manager Sundeep came out of his meeting to talk to me..
He says no engineers has been as there is no fault in the area.. did someone lie to me last night.... anyway Sundeep was comforting I can see why hes a manager, he confirms no issues in area and that my 2 year old router should be fine, so an onsite-engineer is required. He says he'll call me back in an hour to see if he can get me an engineer sooner than the 30th.. I asked him how I knew he would call back.. he said because he said so.. Funny thing he said that he could not hear me as my phone line was cracking up.. When I said it was my Virgin line, it started being clear - coincidence?.. funny life isn't it..
Re: Area26-GU2 failiures, reboots and general moans :p
nice heart.. sooooooo where do we start.. so Sundeep never called me.. I think inside I'm still waiting
I gave up using the internet that night, because although technically I did not have an outage 1 outof 200+mb doesn't really work for me.
However the next morning, even worse.. can you believe it.. I technically was getting less than 1mb. Nothing for it I had to call150 again.. sigh....
To my horror I spoke to ... Mathew.. Mathew was nice (wanna say welsh-lad), he actually sounded like he understood both ends of the wire which mightily impressed me.
We had a lengthy chat.. I think Mathew was bored.. He told me he was one of the trainers on the broadband team .. a bit of an SME, so I enjoyed him imparting his knowledge on me.
Things I found out-
1) there was a network area issue
2) it was highly unlikely that there was an error at my site (oopppss Home - did I mention I'm in IT as well). No SNR error, and signal levels were fine.
3) Mathew confirmed that no engineer had ever been booked for Wednesday.. guess that would have been a long wait.. (confirmed it wasn't auto-cancelled) - naughty IDC team getting my hopes up..!!!
4) I did learn that leaving my security on WPA-Auto was less than desirable, - considered changed.
5) finally the lovely IDC lady I spoke to at the beginning of this saga who confidently told me she had increased my signal frequency to give me a stronger connection, you know the one who said she wasn't just re-cycling my hub, well Mathew said he could tell all she did was change my WIFI Channels
Did I mention I run via cat, yup yes I did..
Anyway Mathew confirmed that there was now an Area issue, but the estimated fix time was Wednesday.. yup three+ days away! Nice.. I gave up since I was on Tech Support on Sunday and needed a stable connection.. The nice people at Three have hooked me up with a 4g Dongle.. Wonder if Virgin would like to help pay for that.. Yeah probably not.. if you do it is going to cost me 150 for the next 12 months.. that is the equivalent to 2months in Virgin money..
I went to bed on Saturday night satisfied that although I may not have Virgin Internet access for a few days, at least I had a stable connection available to me to work from (wow how do those people who rely on Virgin Internet to run their businesses cope- guess they leave).. But low and behold on Sunday morning it was back, all 220+mb download glory...
Things I have learned from this experience..
1) When Virgin is good, its great..
2) When Virgin is bad its real bad
3) Urgent Support is non-existent
4) IDC support teams just want you off the phone (that includes managers)
5) Non-IDC support teams do know what they are doing, but effectively have their hands tied..
and finally, so far everything sorts itself out in the end, just do not expect anyone at virgin who picks up a phone to help you get there!
you know at the beginning, I mentioned that guys who mis-sold me Sky Movies and lied to me on the phone, you know the one I have an open complaint for.. well I finally got a call back... Unfortunately it was not from a manager or someone from internal complaints.. yup you guessed it.. was the same dude trying to sell me Sky Movies again.. He was confused when I explained how he had lied to me previously.. my bad - I used some naughty words and hung up...