Menu
ehayward
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Are my power levels too high?

I've been having some issues with the internet recently.

Nearly all the time, I am fortunate to enjoy excellent speeds (close to the stated 150Mbps/12Mbps in my package tier), and everything downloads in a flash.

However, the internet freezes randomly every few minutes for anywhere between 10-30 seconds. This happens constantly, and is true of both wired Ethernet and wireless connections. (I have the VMDG480, operating in modem mode, connected to a pair of Asus RT-N66U routers through wired connections, which supply two wifi networks to different floors). My PC and games console are wired, phone and laptop are wifi-connected. All have experienced the same issue.

This plays havok with Skype (dropped calls, image freezes, loss of audio) as well as streaming from services such as Now TV and Netflix (freeze completely for up to 30s every few minutes while they buffer, or even drop out of the program being streamed).

Looking through some of the discussions about optimal power levels, I wonder if mine are out of whack? I'd be grateful if somebody who knows this kind of thing intimately could let me know and set my mind at ease - or at least eliminate one possible symptom!

DOWNSTREAM

UPSTREAM

ADDITIONAL INFO: we used to have problems with our TV with channels breaking up (big, square pixellation) or sometimes so poor they could not be displayed at all. This was fixed at the end of May 2016 by a technician who told me at the time he'd arranged to boost the power levels to our property. Hence my hunch that this might be the source of our internet woes.

Many thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Are my power levels too high?

downstream is too high +10 is max - will try and get VM to get to the thread a bit quicker than the week its taking at the moment

Tony
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

you say the SH is in modem mode connected to "pair of Asus RT-N66U" can you explain this setup.
How are the asus connected and configured?
0 Kudos
ehayward
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

apcyberax wrote:
you say the SH is in modem mode connected to "pair of Asus RT-N66U" can you explain this setup.
How are the asus connected and configured?

The SH is connected straight to the WAN port of one of the Asus RT-N66U using an Ethernet cable as they're within about 1.5m of each other.

I have other Ethernet cables going from the LAN ports of that RT-N66U through the walls (we're fortunate to have in-house wiring). I use the other end of one of those in-wall wired connections to connect to the second RT-N66U at the other end of the house. In other words, the connection between the two Asus routers is wired all the way (cable to wall socket, cable inside wall, cable from wall socket to second router). Some rooms also have TL-SG105 gigabit switches to provide further wired connections (i.e. one ethernet connection comes out of the wall, into a switch, and is farmed out between PC, printer, etc. using said switch)

Both Asus devices have explicitly defined, non-conflicting IP addresses, and different wifi network settings (network names and passwords).

I am seeing the same intermittent brief loss of internet from:

- PC connected via Ethernet to the first Asus RT-N66U (the one near the modem)
- Laptop connected via wifi to the first RT-N66U
- Phone connected via wifi to the first or the second RT-N66U
- Games console connected via Ethernet to the second RT-N66U

I should add that nothing about the above is "new" i.e. no aspect of the physical network or its configuration has changed for at least a couple of years (other than security patches for the routers, of course). Everything used to work perfectly until fairly recently (hard to put my finger on exactly when the problems started, but I'd say within the last 3-4 months; seems to be getting gradually worse)

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi ehayward,

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community.

My apologies that you are experiencing issues with your broadband connection.

As -tony- mentioned the downstream power levels are too high and for this I would like to arrange engineer appointment to adjust these for you. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please. Once you have replied I can go ahead with the appointment.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
ehayward
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Sam. I've replied to your PM.

0 Kudos
ehayward
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just a quick follow-up to say that the engineer called, sorted out the power levels, and the problem I was having promptly disappeared. So that's a fast, positive outcome to my issue. Plus while he was on site, I got him to help upgrade me to Vivid 200 speeds, so things are even better than ever.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi ehayward, 

Thank you for keeping us in the loop with regards to your connection problems.

I am pleased to hear that all is sorted for you since the engineer visit, this is great!

Just remember should you require our assistance in future then post back here and we'll gladly take a look at things from here for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos