Menu
jeffd
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Anyone else having problems with not getting access to messages on ebay in past day or two?

I know the network guys are being very busy configuring and reconfiguring the network kit in preparation for the "Free WiFi" I''ve noticed a lot of T3 & T4 timeouts lately and the past couple of days haven't been able to get to messages on ebay - rest of site work fine. I noticed a "Software update" on my Super hub at 2:30 AM today and wondered it that has anything to do with it?

We can get to ebay messages fine using the mobile phone and 3G, we can tether a laptop to the phone and that works fine but Connect the laptop to the Superhub either via ethernet or WiFi and ebay messages get a timeout (server not found). I can't see anything that has changed in the router settings. Any ideas, I'm scratching my head and getting splinters in my fingers :-)

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
al67
Superfast
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Anyone else having problems with not getting access to messages on ebay in past day or two?

0 Kudos

All Replies
al67
Superfast
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Anyone else having problems with not getting access to messages on ebay in past day or two?

0 Kudos
jeffd
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Lovely :-)

Interesting thread, Thanks. DNS does seem to be involved somewhere. Pity we can't amend DNS servers on Superhub :-(

0 Kudos
jeffd
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I think I can confirm its a DNS issue! I wasn't able to find a way to amend the DNS setting in SuperHub but I do use a DMZ and was able to amend the DNS on my firewall and CentOS 7 server to use Google DNS server as Primary and OpenDNS as Secondary, Ebay now working as expected, now able to get to messages etc, HTH

Cheers

Jeff D

0 Kudos
Jono777
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

This worked for me. Virgin Media is also my ISP & I've found a solution for anyone using a PC who is experiencing really slow eBay messaging...& sometimes timing out waiting for the page to load. Really annoying if you have 10 messages to reply to - takes up to half an hour!

I have been using Firefox, Chrome, IE, Opera & Pale Moon - all slow.

Then I read that the new Opera browser has an inbuilt VPN which changed everything.

What is a VPN? A VPN or Virtual Private Network is a method used to add security and privacy to private and public networks, like WiFi Hotspots and the Internet. VPNs are most often used by corporations to protect sensitive data.

This solved the slow messaging problem immediately. I still don't know who's is to blame but this work around worked for me & lots of others with the same problem. Also Opera is a better browser so give it a go & tell your friends because I've told eBay & they have not mentioned it on their announcement board so I doubt they will as it's not affecting everyone & if you use ebay.com the problem disappears so it's only affecting UK.

0 Kudos