Menu
briggsy72
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Amazon fire stick been working fine for 4 months but just stopped connecting to my WiFi network

Hi, apologies if this has been posted before. I have been using an amazon fire tv stick for about the last 4 months with no problems. Yesterday the fire stick stopped connecting to my wifi network, it can detect the network but wont connect. I have reset the firestick back to factory settings, rebooted my hub and even rang customer service (no help) and it still wont connect. The fire stick will however connect to the internet via the mobile hot spot on my phone. My phone, ipad, laptop, xbox, wifes phone etc etc all connect to the wifi with no problems. Has there been any updates over the last 24 hours to my hub which may be causing it to stop connecting to my fire stick? or does anyone have any idea why everything except my fire stick will connect to my wifi? and why my firestick will connect to my hotspot but not my wifi?

#headintheshed

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Amazon fire stick

Hi briggsy72,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I'm so sorry to hear your Amazon Fire TV Stick has stopped working on Friday. I'll be sure to get this resolved for you.

When it detects a network, are you able to enter a password?

Is this definitely the correct password?

I'm not familiar with this device as I don't use it but it could possibly be firmware related. I'm thinking the TV stick has either updated itself automatically or it needs to be updated manually. Amazon's site here gives you the latest firmware version. It also tells you how to check if an update is available.

I'd be very keen to hear the outcome of this so keep me updated. I have a few more suggestions should this fail though.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
Djyorkie
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Is there any update on this issue? As i am having EXACTLY the same problem and tried all the same things.

Firestick was working fine for 6 weeks then suddenly failed to connect to my superhub2.
As the original post, the firestick can see the virgin network but fails to connect to it.

It connects fine to my mobile phone hotspot using my mobile internet, so eliminates a wifi problem in the firesrick.

All other devices connecting fine to my router.

Tried a factory reset of both firestick and superhub with no joy.

Tried virgin technical support with no joy.

Tried all variations of 5g and 2g with differing security levels and firewall settings with no joy.

Tried setting up a guest channel with no joy.

Tried disconnecting everything else from my network incase of interference with no joy.

Tried moving the firestick further away from router by trying it on a different tv in another room with no joy.

The only thing i can think of is that virgin is blocking the firestick without telling customers. I have tried pretty much everything i can think of.

Any other suggestions or has anyone else had this problem and managed to resolve it?
0 Kudos
S7uey
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I just wondered whether anyone has managed to solve this yet?

I have joined Virgin on 15/03/2016 (broadband only) and have the Virgin Hub 3.0.  Up until that point my Amazon Firestick worked flawlessly with my Sky router.  Unfortunately it now will not connect to the Virgin Hub and is £35 down the pan!  Any ideas whether it will connect to a wifi extender that is connect to the hub to bypass what ever is wrong???

Djyorkie
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Not solved with mine yet.
tried getting some help with a couple of firestick communities, it works on other networks, but virgin insisted that the problem is not with the router or service.
i cant see how it can be anything else.
would be interesting if you get any joy out of an extender.
Please keep us updated if you try this, even if it doesnt work.
0 Kudos
S7uey
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

IMG_1555.PNG

I can guarantee the problem is Virgins and have tweets to prove it.  It has been confirmed to me that they are aware of a problem with the firestick.

0 Kudos
S7uey
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have a fix.  It costs money but is a fix.

If you buy a wifi range extender, then the firestick can connect to that no problem.  Cost me £30 but the kids are happy that Netflix is working again.  Need to ask Virgin for a refund of the £30 now Smiley Wink

S7uey
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Managed to persuade them to give me a £30 credit to my account which settles the matter nicely!
0 Kudos
petefrombristol
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Amazon fire stick been working fine for 4 months but just stopped connecting to my WiFi network

Hi,

I had this problem tonight, end of Feb 2017, and found this thread. If you've washed up here too, good news: I might have found a fix.

First , factory reset your Fire Stick. Then, during the device registration process (the one you did when it first arrived), you'll be asked to connect to your wi fi network. Typing in the wi fi password for me on the Fire Stick simply didn't work - but what did was connecting using the WPS facility.

The Fire Stick will give you the option to connect this way. Then long press the WPS button on the front of the superhub and it should connect up. The registration process then completes and you should be back in business.

Haven't seen this fix anywhere else. No idea what the problem is, but I hope this works for somebody else as well.

0 Kudos
AmyG1
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Amazon fire stick been working fine for 4 months but just stopped connecting to my WiFi network

Hi,

i e never posted on a forum before but I have this exact problem. Was working fine until Saturday and now it just says connecting to network. Everything else connects fine it the wifi. I've tried the WPS button and it connected for like two seconds then stopped. Has anybody else got any ideas? It's been working fine for months! 

Thank you Smiley Happy 

0 Kudos