Menu
scotchmist
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

All ports blocked, port forward and DMZ not working

Hi,

I had a problem yesterday with my PS4 not logging into PSN, most suggestions said i need to go into modem mode on SH2, i put this into modem mode and connected up my old virgin d-link for wifi and PS4 to the lan port. My ps4 was now logging in ok.

I went to work today but i'm unable to access my network HDD using no-ip.biz. When i got home i checked to make sure i forwarded my ports correctly which i did. I checked to make sure the port was open and it said it was closed, in fact i could not find any ports that were open 23,80,8000, 12000 and 16000 all said closed. I set the HDD to DMZ and still nothing.

I put the super hub back into router mode and all ports are still closed and PS4 is not working again. I enabled remote access to the hub and instantly the port opened but no other ports opened, i checked 23, 80, 8000, 12000, 16000 and all open when set on remote access but not when port forwarding or DMZ.

Does anyone have any ideas? i have done a factory reset and still no good. Virgin want to charge £35 for support.

0 Kudos
Swlittle
Joining in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: All ports blocked, port forward and DMZ not working

I don't know about your hub, still waiting on mine to be installed. But when I was on BT I had to make sure I had a static ip. By doing so port forwarding seemed to work that way. Found this on line, don't know if it will help https://portforward.com/virgin-media/super-hub-2/
0 Kudos
DaivS
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: All ports blocked, port forward and DMZ not working

Hi scotchmist

I also have the same issues as yourself and i am pretty sure almost all of the network home users will be having the same problems. I assume from what you have performed yourself that you have a reasonable knowledge in port forwarding and had it all working not too long ago. My problems started lately too. My thoughts are that its all due to virgins change over to arris system. I had the super hub 1.0 and had various port ranges open and all worked as they should and could be confirmed by using port checking services like http://portchecker.co/check, http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ and a few others. My home system went down and could not connect at all, so called support and was put through to technical and they rebooted my connection which got me back online, however, from that point my super hub 1.0 would not allow two users on my network at the same time, or if me and my partner eventually got on at the same time the connection was like a severely throttled 56k connection. google taking about 1-2 mins to load up. I called back to virgins support and was put through to technical again , where i was told that it was probably due to the change over to arris system and i would require the super hub 3.0. Got my hub 3.0 and was able to connect all of the household users at one time like before but could not open any ports whatsoever. Called support again and through their checks said everything seemed fine but could not give me any explanation as to why i had issues. The guy i spoke to said virgin dont support port forwarding and i should not have been charged for the connection of the new hub which i asked to be refunded and then he put me through to customer support, who then were angry that he had done so, as they said that only technical can make such refunds. I then got put back through to technical and got a really nice lady who confirmed what customer support said and also said that the refunding of the charge would also be fine. She also said that virgin do support port forwarding and due to my problems thought it best that i get sent out a super hub 2ac. She was just getting me to reconnect my hub 1.0 to check if the ports still opened on that and as it just got connected my phone signal dropped out. I immediately called back up and tried explaining all this again to customer support who forwarded me to technical, who forwarded me to customer relations, then back to technical then back to customer support and then yet again back to technical. Finally after 3 hours on the phone to them i got some guy with a reasonable bit of sense who could see how frustrated and annoyed i was at this point and suggested an engineer come to my house and fix whatever issue i was experiencing. Well, today was that day, and the engineer came in i explained the issues and he tested my system. He said there was no issues showing and everything was working as it should going by there equipment. I then said about how i was told that i could get a hub 2ac that might fix the problem and he went to his van and gave me one in. At this point a virgin media supervisor arrived at my house too and i also had to explain to him that i tried with 2 laptops, 3 desktops, 1 tablet and two phones, wireless and cabled, also using different cables, but they had no idea what was wrong. Whilst they were both present I then booted my freshly installed desktop and showed them me setting up three different ports on the hub 2ac (80, 110, 27000) all which showed as closed, even with setting the desktops ip to the DMZ. They both had no idea what port forwarding was and proceeded to start calling different virgin IT guys they knew to try find out what was going on. I also let them know that i went to college and uni with a few of their IT guys (not naming names) who have no real clue and only passed their courses on the merits of others and attending everyday. (This is just fact of uk education these days. I had three friends who were lucky if they could code a hello world program but managed to get and HND and degree in Software Development due to me giving them the answers in exchange for them doing my boring documentation.) Anyway, the engineer said the person he spoke to said he thinks it was virgin IT that needed to unblock something. The supervisor contacted several virgin IT guys and none of them knew how to fix or what was wrong. He then phoned some one who said that virgin don't allow port forwarding for home users anymore and suggested i get a business account which i obviously laughed at. What the hell do these guys get paid for? Sending two guys with no clue, admittedly the engineer was as helpful as possible, but other than plugging in wires and tester boxes anything technical was beyond his remit. When the supervisor was on the phone he was asking the IT guys "what do you know about open porting". **bleep** is open porting lol. Support with no consistency in their responses, some helpful and some just complete ignorant robots. So the supervisor has now left and promised to call me back with some answers. 5 hours later and still no call. So what does this mean for all virgin media customers with xboxs, ps4's, apple tv, nas drives, home severs, cctv setups and all various other services that require ports to be opened? I believe this problem must only be in certain areas as surely a nation of xbox/ps4 would have noticed there ports were closed by now. So if anyone with true insight other than spouting the same crap about checking ip numbers, cables and devices are working or to truly check use a port listener, or just want to test my IT prowes, please post back with any help. I posted this to show others my problems and what you are up against. I will post this same message on as many different threads as i can til i get a reasonable response. And if any virgin mangers read this stop paying clueless people to come out and give me scripted sales pitches and give me a job. I left IT because i hate clock watching in offices, but putting up with service like this makes me want to come back and fix things properly from staff training to actual true knowledge of the service and general IT. For those of yous virgin media employees who do know what your actually talking about, i do apologise for seeming to tar all with the same brush, and feel for yous having to be surrounded by so much incompetence. 

0 Kudos