Menu
JustinS
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Adding a Second Router to superhub and keeping wireless on both still operational (Not Modem Only mode)

I am looking to operate my Netgear router on a secondary network from the primary Virgin Media Network.

My Set up involves having a second router with DD-WRT installed (So I can configure this on the secondary router no problems)  This router is attached to my Superhub (Not in Modem Only Mode as want to utilise the routing functions of the hub for a secondary Wifi network)  I have 2 different gateway addresses one for the superhub (192.168.0.1) and another for my secondary router (192.168.1.1).

I can access the superhub gui from the secondary router but not the other way around.  I'd like to operate the netgear gui from a local virgin media IP connection on the superhub.  I've assigned the router a static IP address (192.168.0.6) in the virgin media superhub DHCP Reservations.

I understand that I need to be able to do the following but cannot see any options for Advanced Routing that are enabled on the superhub to do so.  How can I get round this please?

I'd like to assign the following

Put the Destination LAN IP to 192.168.1.0
Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0
Gateway to 192.168.0.6 (The Static IP I’ve assigned to my secondary router on Virgin Media Superhub)

I want both wireless on my superhub and my router to work so that I can get to the secondary routers web gui on both 192.168.0.1 (Virgin hub) and 192.168.1.1 when using a superhub subnet IP address.

The alternative is to buy another router which I don't really want to do.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Adding a Second Router to superhub and keeping wireless on both still operational (Not Modem Only mod

hiya @JustinS only thing that comes to mind atm, would be to put the 3rd party router into access point mode and disable the DHCP on the 3rd party router, so the hub deal with all ip leasing, so cable from hub to port eg 1 in the 3rd party. im sure 1 of my fellow superusers/other community members will give a more complex answer.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Adding a Second Router to superhub and keeping wireless on both still operational (Not Modem Only mod

My advice is that unless you have a pressing need to have separate subnets on the home network is - don't do it.

The Superhub doesn't support static routing, it's basically a get you going device only.  So if you want to have multiple subnets with each reachable from the other then you're going to fail.  Also what you are doing is double NAT, which is a big mistake.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
pcmanbob
Up to speed
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

regardless of the fact that you are doing double nat which is never good, the reason you cant connect to the second routers gui from the first routers LAN is that the second router sees the first router as the internet and is probably set to prevent access to the gui from the internet, as it sees it as remote administration.

To access the second routers gui from the first routers LAN you need to allow remote administration on the second router.

0 Kudos
JustinS
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you all for your responses.

A little about what I would like to do and why I am utilising a second subnet, or double natting.

What I would like to do is connect to a VPN service and have the option to ustilise Virgin Media when needed.

I have a VPN Service attached to my second router.  In modem only mode the whole network goes through the VPN as I get assigned a IP in the range of 192.168.0.X  which is not what I'm after as I would then need to set up policy based routing for each individual IP I want to go through the VPN and then I would not be able to connect to Virgin Media with those IP Addresses.  

At the moment I have it set up and working to an extent, just that the two networks cannot talk to each other directly.  I suspect I need to add some IP Forwards to the firewall which is my next thing to investigate.   But I cannot see any other way around not double natting in order to get a choice of which network I could connect to based on the local IP Address assigned on connecting to the VPN or Virgin Media.

0 Kudos
Lat
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Justin,

Did you ever get this to work? I am in the same situation and would be interested to see if you have managed to get this going!

Thanks.

0 Kudos
KevinStartup
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ya, ok - I have achieved this - finally after like two hours!

So, I had similar situation - new Virgin hub as they've just put it on our street and an old TalkTalk router connected out on the copper.  Talk Talk router already placed in good location for wireless, new Virgin hub not so much, so I wanna use the TalkTalk as a Wirless Access Point and then forward all to the Virgin Hub.

Physical connection between the two hubs by cable first or you're not going to have a hope ....

First observations, the Virgin Hub is not very good I'm afraid.  It's slow as a dog to configure and has very little that can be setup.  Nonetheless, there is enough.  I reduced down the size of the DHCP pool on it to only go to 250, then I set the old TalkTalk hub to IP 192.168.0.254 and added its MAC address as a reservation to this address on the Virgin hub.

Then, turned off internet access and DHCP on the TalkTalk hub, so it's just Wireless Access.  Now any device that connects to the TalkTalk will get its DHCP from the Vrigin Hub and correctly pickup default route out of the house on the new fibre.  Just put everything on same subnet basically and reserve an address for your hub that you want to be a repeater on the Virgin hub and manually add it then as a reservation.  It works fine.