Menu
Dreamfinder
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Acer Aspire 5742Z will not connect via wi-if to Superhub 3

I'm hoping someone can help me. I have had to have a new router fitted, a Virginmedia Superhub 3, which replaced a VM Superhub 1 which had stopped working, and now my laptop will not connect via wi-fi to it.
All the other wi-fi enabled iPads, iPhone, Samsung phone, Amazon Dots, and Hive work with it without any problem but my Acer Aspire 5742Z running Windows 10 just will not - though I have had it working with the Ethernet cable in place and, after adding the laptop in allowed devices in my routers online settings, it did work via the wi-fi for two days.
I don't know what's changed since then but it has only managed to establish a connection now and again but the speed varied between 5 Mbps (most frequent) and 78 Mbps and it does not keep the connection for more than a minute or two.
Then it either doesn't see the connection at all or will not connect to it when it does. I have tried updating the network adapter and uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it but nothing has made any difference, it still won't connect.

The router was installed and set up by the Virginmedia technician and it wasn't until the following day that I attempted to connect my laptop to the new router.
As it would only connect when wired through the Ethernet cable I went on to the routers settings at 192.168.0.1 to try and establish why the laptop wasn't connecting.
I made sure that 2.4Ghz was enabled, as its a dual band router and the laptop only seems to do 2.4Ghz.
Then I added the laptop's MAC address to the allowed devices list and after that the laptop connected successfully to the wi-fi.
It worked ok for 2 days but the next time my husband went on it it wouldn't connect at all.
I have tried removing it from the allowed devices list and adding it again, plus uninstalling the network adapter then reinstalling.
Every now and again it seems to connect and I have had speeds from 5Mbps to 78Mbps but it will not keep the connection more than a couple of minutes. Sometimes it shows as connected but no internet.

I have tried working my way through the options at:https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/10741/windows-10-fix-network-connection-issues but none have worked.

I downloaded the wlan report but do not know what to do with it.
I did the ping test and that was successful but as I still cannot establish a permanent connection it suggests that there may be a problem with my modem or ISP.
I updated the network adapter driver, though it said I had the latest already.
I've run the Network troubleshooter and tried the reset, release, renew and flush and reset commands.
I turned off the firewalls and the anti-virus protection (seemed to allow it to connect but hung at Identifying...No internet access).
I tried uninstalling the network adapter driver and restarted but it didn't make any difference and I used network reset to reinstall network devices....all without making a blind bit of difference.
I can connect the laptop to my neighbour's Sky network without any problem but not to my new Virginmedia Superhub 3.

I have tried everything I have come across, all without success. I am really at a loss as what to try now as all I seem to be getting is "Unable to connect to this network".

Any ideas how I can resolve this, please?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Acer Aspire 5742Z will not connect via wi-if to Superhub 3

Try renaming the 2.4Ghz OR 5.0Ghz SSID

By default they are the same on HUB3 which gives some Network adapters a hissy fit.

0 Kudos
Dreamfinder
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have now changed the 2.4Ghz but neither of my wi-fi connections are showing in the list to try to connect to, so I still can't connect.

0 Kudos
Dreamfinder
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I put the 2.4Ghz back to the original then changed the 5 Ghz. The original (2.4Ghz) showed in the list of available connections but still wouldn't allow me to connect. The 5Ghz didn't show up at all 🤔
0 Kudos
Dreamfinder
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

After a suggestion from someone on the Acer Community website I went and changed the channel setting for the 2.4Ghz on my new router from Auto to 6 (which I am sure my old router had been set at) and voila, my laptop now connects without any problems and has been connected successfully for over 90 minutes.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos