Menu
lilwead
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 60
Flag for a moderator

Access Denied issues (again)

Yet again I'm unable to access e bay. I keep getting the message:

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.ebay.co.uk/myb/WatchList" on this server.

Reference #18.b3476768.1484593890.94c729b8 when I try to go to my watch list, or :

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.ebay.co.uk/" on this server.

Reference #18.a4476768.1484594089.7afd9afb when just typing in e bays' address. Have contacted e bay & they have no issues with my account or my ip address. When I use an alternative internet provider, or use Virgin from an alternative address, I can access e bay. I have already had a replacement hub from Virgin, installed. Worked for a few days, then access denied again. It is on ALL devices, whether hardwired or wifi: 3 PCs, 2 tablets, a laptop, a notebook, & 2 smartphones. Virgin tells me to contact the tech guys.....who have no idea what is wrong. The first time they sent out the new hub, the 2nd time the guy said it was because my security package had expired that day (go figure!). No account was taken of the fact that I use different security applications on different devices. What more can I do? I'm not tech savvy, but, when all factors are taken into account, it appears to me that it is something to do with Virgins equipment....perhaps the wiring to my property or one of the street boxes. Could someone give me some (simple, please!) suggestions?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 14 of 60
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Access Denied issues (again)

Doing a Google search on  Hashimoto's disease

I see the top 3 results - 

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hashimotos-disease/home/ovc-20269762

http://www.webmd.com/women/hashimotos-thyroiditis-symptoms-causes-treatments#1

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/thyroiditis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Are also hosted on Akamai servers.  @lilwead could you verify these were the addresses you were trying?

Ravenstar68

Edit - @ModTeam  Could you ask someone to look at this as this potentially has implications for anyone who's been IP blocked from just one site hosted by Akamai.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 22 of 60
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Lilwead

Lets deal with some of your comments.

For it to be ALL devices within the household, with 3 different users, seems odd, as well.

It's not odd at all.  Home routers typically use Network Address Translation (NAT) meaning you have a single public IPv4 address and several Private IPv4 addresses.

When you connect to a website the website only sees the public address NAT makes sure that the returning packets are routed to the correct private address.  Therefore when a website blocks your public IP, all devices on your LAN (including wireless devices) will be blocked.

Could this cable have degraded in any way?

Unlikely - such damage would affect your internet connection as a whole.  Not specific sites.

As stated earlier the error message you are seeing is actually coming from the Web server you are trying to reach.  @SCA1972 has kindly pointed me in the direction of this post on the Akamai Forum

https://community.akamai.com/community/cloud-security/blog/2016/04/07/why-is-akamai-blocking-me

Note the following:

1. The block is often implemented automatically, so unless ebay, Ikea, etc look properly, they are often unaware in the first instance that they are blocking you.  I for one have seen numerous instances where customer services have stated to posters - "we're not blocking your IP." only to find out on further investigation that they are.
  2. The Access Denied message contains a code which should tell the website owner more.  If necessary they can take that code to Akamai to find out more about it.
  3. Note this paragraph too:
    Your reputation follows you. If your IP is identified as behaving poorly on one site, you may be blocked on other websites. A first step in troubleshooting may be to determine whether your organization is performing one of the activities listed above that could affect your reputation.

This matches the behaviour you are seeing.

Akamai further advise that if you are blocked then the only people who can ask Akamai to unblock you is their customer i.e. the site you are trying to reach.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

cybmole
Community elder
Message 23 of 60
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

ravenstar68 wrote:

Akamai further advise that if you are blocked then the only people who can ask Akamai to unblock you is their customer i.e. the site you are trying to reach.

Ravenstar68

so the only option a customer has is to show this whole discussion to ebay, ikea, whoever, in the hopes that they will then take it to Akamai.. But the Customer cannot get any further clue from Akamai as to why they are blacklisted, or who instigated the block.

there's a catch 22 in there somewhere.

and we know that Virgin do slowly recycle IPs, so a customer whose IP lease has expired could inherit one of these blocks and be clueless as to why they are suddenly now access-denied. In such instances is seems unfair that Virgin do not assist with removing the block, or take that suspect IP out of circulation until it is clean again.

the one puzzle I still have is the case of eh poster(s) who had a new router, which fixed the problem for a few days, then the block returned. Unless they 'fess up to some fresh block triggering behaviour as per that Akamai link, that makes no sense. I see that one of the triggers is sending too many requests, which is seen as a DDos type attack, could a hub's dodgy coding cause that to happen i.e. it gets stuck in some repeated request loop until the block kicks in. I guess the reference number could reveal if that is the case.

All Replies
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 60
Flag for a moderator

Ask ebay to decipher the reference numbers? If the new hub worked for a few days then not it does seem like some block or ban is being triggered, unless the hub did an overnight firmware update. Anything in hub logs to suggest that.

Is anyone else piggy backing on your connection, do you have any unsecured wifi?

Is it only ebay? Try ikea as that has been reported by others

Are all your devices malware free. An infected device could be triggering an ip block. 

Would running wireshark help at all. That is suggested by vm in a different problem thread

0 Kudos
lilwead
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 60
Flag for a moderator

All of the devices have security on them, are regularly scanned. No one is able to gain access to our connection, my husband locked it down as soon as it was installed. Ebay are investigating at the moment, although I will ask them if they can decipher the reference numbers. Will also try Ikea & see what happens. My next door neighbour, who is also a Virgin customer, has no problems at all. Never heard of wireshark, but will take a look. Will keep you posted!

0 Kudos
lilwead
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 60
Flag for a moderator

IKEA is the same!....for some reason, if I type EBAY or IKEA as one word, in lower case, it keeps asking me to correct them, weird.

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/" on this server.

Reference #18.580655f.1484638089.2cd90e4

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 60
Flag for a moderator

there is also trace route - google it- at this stage, anything that could provide a clue is worth a try. 

What is in the hub logs, has it powercycled or updated itself from when those sites were working

as I said in another thread it is so unlikely that 2 independent sites both decide to block ( and in the other case spontaneously unblock) , that it must be some middle man device or code.

You have ruled out a faulty hub ( via a swap out) so hub firmware/ software is probably the next thing to scrutinise

what exactly is asking you to correct single word EBAY / IKEA - that suggests some spell check program is running ??? if I put simply EBAY into chrome it just goes to a google search, as expected.

as its a multi device issue, this is hardly worth asking but are you set for UK keyboard, UK location... could that E or A  be not the standard E or A

what happens if you try other ebay sties like ebay.com, ebay.ie, ebay.ca ....

0 Kudos
lilwead
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 60
Flag for a moderator

UK keyboard & location. With the EBAY / IKEA thing, that's only when I write on this forum! Tried the other EBAY sites, still access denied. Am trying to do some research on Hashimoto's disease (hypothyroidism) & it comes up with Access Denied for a couple of those pages, as well. Going to ring the tech guys.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 7 of 60
Flag for a moderator

lilwead wrote:
UK keyboard & location. With the EBAY / IKEA thing, that's only when I write on this forum! Tried the other EBAY sites, still access denied. Am trying to do some research on Hashimoto's disease (hypothyroidism) & it comes up with Access Denied for a couple of those pages, as well. Going to ring the tech guys.

ok - let's ignore that forum single word glitch - i had tried lower case ikea in edge, ie , chrome - all good

i googled Hashimoto's disease and the first 3 search results all came up OK for me

traceroute should show the path from you to an access denied site, then I'd do it again for a working site & see if I could see any differences in the results

and post the results here for the smart guys to look at. I have never used wire shark, just read about it in the other thread ( called 2ac disconnects ). i think the outputs from wireshark are very geeky so it's only worth doing if someone agrees to look at them for you.

you can get your hub firmware and software versions via a login to the hub I think

if you then forced a factory reset by prodding it with a pin, you could see if those versions changed and if the blocked sites stayed blocked.

i think with VM tech guys you should request a different hub - e.g. if you have hub2 , go to hub3 .... if you have 3 go back down to 2...

http://ping.eu/traceroute/

0 Kudos
lilwead
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 60
Flag for a moderator

Have been on the phone since I last posted: long & the short of it, is 'nothing wrong'! In modem mode, all sites are accessible BUT there is no wifi available...this is unacceptable as I have 2 students needing wifi access, upstairs. So, I'm back in router mode. They agreed, eventually, to send out the new superhub 3. Apparently it is the very latest product, everything WILL work.....I'll reserve judgement. After 2 hrs with the phone glued to my ear, watching all sorts going on with my computer due to remote access, I'm fed up.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 60
Flag for a moderator

Hi lilwead, 

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community. 

Sorry to learn that you are having issues with accessing ebay. I can see you have had great advice from cybmole which is great, thank you.

As the website is working through modem mode and not router mode, are you able to post trace routes in both modes for us to take a look at please? We can see if there are any issues between the both.

I'm glad that the Hub 3 will be sent to you and hopefully it will resolve this issue.

Let me know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 10 of 60
Flag for a moderator

-> staff

good to see you here but please read the whole thread 

she has already told you that modem mode works and that the problem is present on PC and on mobile devices

so investigating browser settings is pointless

there are several other access denied thread, you should really merge otr study them all and look for commonality.

for example there is a different poster in a different thread who was also blocked from both ebay and ikea.