Menu
gordan
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Abhorrent LAN Ping Times

There appears to be something fundamentally wrong with the SH3 hardware. The ping times to the SH3 itself are ridiculously high for gigabit ethernet.

I currently have both BT and VM connections, so I can compare the hardware directly. I was hoping to switch to VM, but at this rate I might just cancel within my cooling off period because the latencies are unreasonably high on Virgin Media.

Tested with the same machine:

Average ping to BT Hub 5 on LAN: 0.2ms

Average ping to SH3 on LAN: 3.2 ms

That is 16x slower, and that is just on the LAN side.

So my questions are:

1) Is there an acknowledgement from Virgin Media that a problem exists?

2) If there is acknowledgement that this very obvious problem exists, is there a firmware fix in the pipeline for it?

3) If a firmware fix is forthcoming, what is the ETA?

karma_mechanic
Dialled in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Abhorrent LAN Ping Times

The issue itself is due to the SH3 (and many other modems/routers) using the Intel Puma 6 chipset. Google 'Intel Puma 6 latency' if you want to be depressed. On this forum there is also a thread but not so obvious unless you frequent the gaming forum: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/Hub-3-Compal-CH7465-LG-TG2492LG-and-CGNV4-Latency...

It looks like a firmware fix may be developed eventually, but whether Virgin ever deliver it is a different matter. 

boblish
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

i have been having the same problem for some time now, the general response from VM is that its must be something i am doing, glad to see some one is taking them to book for it, good luck with it though, hope you dont get the same treatment that i have.

0 Kudos
gordan
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Right, so until media decides to have a field day, ignore the problem. Even after the story breaks and is confirmed, continue shipping duff hardware to customers (mine was installed 4 days ago).
gordan
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have just received a SH 2ac (2.5), and can confirm that it cures the LAN latency problem. LAN ping times went from 3.2ms down to 0.5ms. While this is still 2x slower than I would expect (I get 0.1-0.2 ping on my internal gigabit LAN), it is still a _vast_ 6.5x improvement on the SH3.
0 Kudos