Menu
lailapetersone
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

A wide variety of problems

Hello,

I've been a user of Virgin broadband for well over a year now. Before I say anything, I'd like to add that I had been pleased with the service I've received in the majority of the time. Until August 2016 I can't recall having any problems whatsoever.

And this is where I'd usually put ''however'' in the beginning of a new line. But where do I start?

Well, I'll just try and start off with horrible ping issues. Let me make something absolutely clear- I've tried every single possible thing that I could find on internet to try and resolve this. Restarting, resetting router, unplugging it from power supply, disconnecting all the wires from it, configured a variety of settings. Using a wire. Literally, there is not enough help on internet that could be found to actually fix the issue. What does work for a short time frame (10-15 minutes) is opening ports. But as you'd imagine that takes up some precious time and I'd need to open a port for each device. This happens nearly every day irregardless of the time of the day. It might be stable again for 2-5 days but then it is almost certain to start lagging again.
Moving on to the next issue- "No connection".

Oh and this must be the most irritating one so far I've came across. So without any plausible reason, this broadband just decides to ''go off''. And this is just horrible. Whether you are trying to watch a movie or play an online game, it just decides to lose it's connectivity. Now, although all of the devices are still connected to it, the internet cannot be accessed. This might happen for a couple of minutes. This might happen for a couple of hours (which is mostly the case). The longest time I had to live without internet was around 12-16 hours. All the payments had been made, so there are no problems in that end. Again, this is quite unpredictable and could happen every day. Last time it went down was around 2-3 hours ago for approximately 30 minutes. The funny thing is that when I check the service status in my area, it always says that someone is on their way and the issue will be fixed soon (next joke please).

Last point. And boy, this is embarrassing. The range of signal.

Mind me, I live in a pretty small apartment and I need to search for ''sweet spots'' in order to get one stripe of wireless signal on my iPhone. I won't go much into this. I think it's the Super Hub 1 router. I've heard it's pretty rubbish to be honest.

Now the real question is what am I supposed to and more importantly- what are you going to do about this? I have no intention of staying whatsoever. Oh and please do not ask me to call 150 or any other number as I have problems with hearing. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: A wide variety of problems

u state you have no intention of staying, so I suppose I should just ignore your post. But hey, I got time on my hands so here goes.

First off. SHUB 1 is a beast.

*searches for HUB1 GIF*

hubfire.gif

Is the best solution.

However if you harass them enough they will send you a replacement, FOC or for cost of postage.  The key phrases are "WiFi atrocious" "Not fit for purpose" and "Ongoing latency build up leading to connection dropping"

Normally Id tell you to ring in on 150 to sort it, but as per your post that's not useful to you. Wait for staff to pick it up, or go on online chat and get them to replace your HUB. That SHOULD solve your problem.

If not, come back and well run you through some troubleshooting.

Hope that helps...

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

are all the problems wifi - theres not a lot VM can do about that as there are too many variables - however you do need to get rid of the SH1 which is dire on wifi

you can try chat but thats not a good method - so it has to be th ephone - retentions - dont get too involved just tell them the wifi is rubbish - which it is and you want a newer SH - that will improve wifi

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - you are thinking of leaving us - dont worry about that they do much more - open 'till 8pm - 6pm on saturdays - closed sunday and the plus is its a UK call centre

as to disconnects and other problems that can be many things so post some info

log into superhub - 192.168.0.1 - DON'T SIGN IN, click router status [top right] - and post the downstream and upstream figures

Tony
0 Kudos
Parazaine
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The other option is to bypass the wifi using a powerline although bear in mind that the ones VM will try and sell you are not fast enough for their top packages.

0 Kudos
lailapetersone
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello guys,

Thanks for the replies. My internet went down once again yesterday at around 9 PM and appeared just 5 minutes ago at around 13:55.

I was able to somehow communicate with Virgin via phone and they said that they'd send a guy next Tuesday while also mentioning that there are no issues whatsoever with Super Hub 1.

Now, I have my internet back. But guess what? The WiFi is not working! The network simply doesn't appear in wireless network list. I can only use my wired network via PC. Oh Virgin...

P.S.

DownstreamDownstreamUpstreamUpstream

EDIT: The wireless network now appears on all of the devices but still cannot be used as it simply doesn't load anything.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No issues with SH1??????????

I suppose that may be true in an alternate reality in which you use it as an objet d'art instead of a device to connect to the internet....

0 Kudos