Menu
checkeredknight
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

70MB VM internet connection has been offline for the past 24hrs

Hi,
Area code 11, EH12, account number ********. Our 70MB internet connection has been broken for the past 24 hours. The network traffic light has been constantly flashing green, the ready light is flashing blue, and we have zero connectivity, through wireless or wired. Our hub is a Superhub 2.

Yes, we have tried switching it off and on again. It hasn't fixed it. Saw an engineer outside the house yesterday morning messing with the box. The time it went offline matched up with when I saw him. Seems he's broken something on Virgin's end.

Tried to contact via Twitter and am getting ignored. Currently paying for broken internet. Any help much appreciated.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
checkeredknight
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 70MB VM internet connection has been offline for the past 24hrs

This issue was due to a faulty f tap in the cable box outside my house. The connectors rust over time and they've been transferred from the pit into the cabinet by network engineers recently. A friendly engineer came and fixed this without me having to go through the excruciating VM help line. VM support assumed this issue was due to my hub equipment and wouldn't listen to me when I said it wasn't. From now on, I'm going to forget VM support and will try to fix things myself. If I cannot fix it myself, I'll seek help elsewhere.
0 Kudos

All Replies
checkeredknight
Tuning in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Just called VM tech support and they're looking into it. Cheers.
0 Kudos
checkeredknight
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

OK, so here's an update.

I call VM. They arrange a technician to come out on Sunday between 4 - 7pm. This morning, I received a text. It read:

"Hi, this is Virgin Media. We've cancelled your Service visit because we've found a network problem in your area. We'll confirm once this is resolved."

Fair enough. I check the service status page. It reads "The fault was identified by our engineers and will be fixed by 16:25."

Great. So I wait until about 5pm. Still broken. Check the service status page. What do you know - big green tick, all fixed!

I call VM. After being on hold for 15 mins, I speak to a chap called Andrew for a good 20 - 30 minutes. Turns out, despite my Superhub 2ac being on, he cannot even see it any more. Apparently there was an outage in this area yesterday, and over 200+ phonecalls to VM in this area were made. But, the technicians assure him this was fixed at 12:15 today. He finds this bizarre, scribbles some notes down, lots of umm'ing and ahh'ing.

Well, there's no way to fix it. We have to get an engineer. Great, see him tomorrow then? Sorry sir, that slot has been lost. And, every other slot in the coming days is fully booked. Well, we work all week, maybe next Friday. Nothing. Try calling back on Monday.

In the end, after some persuasion, he managed to find a slot for Tuesday. This is relying on my partner to get time off from work, which isn't guaranteed.

So, VM killed my internet, possibly my hub, cancelled an engineer appointment, had hardly any free slots for a new one AND my internet is STILL down.

What a farce. A complete joke. You broke it, you fix it. You fix it fast. I'm still paying for this. The bill goes out tomorrow. If that money goes out, and this is still broken on Tuesday, my contract is history. Good riddance.
0 Kudos
checkeredknight
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

This issue was due to a faulty f tap in the cable box outside my house. The connectors rust over time and they've been transferred from the pit into the cabinet by network engineers recently. A friendly engineer came and fixed this without me having to go through the excruciating VM help line. VM support assumed this issue was due to my hub equipment and wouldn't listen to me when I said it wasn't. From now on, I'm going to forget VM support and will try to fix things myself. If I cannot fix it myself, I'll seek help elsewhere.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi checkeredknight, 

Thanks for keeping us up to speed with your connection issues!

I am pleased to hear that an engineer came along and fixed your issues without contacting support! This is great!

Just remember if you do require any assistance in future then post back here on the forums and we'll gladly take a look and help out in any way we can.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos