Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 9 (121 Views)

5G keeps disconnecting

Hello,

Im on the hub 2, I've not had any issues with it until about 2 to 3 weeks ago, The 5G is constantly disconnecting and Im having to reboot the hub to get anything to reconnect to it. this can happen anything from 3 to 6 times a day.

There is no pattern to it ( times and activity varies), it has happened when im just on the phone doing nothing but play a game, it can happen when im downloading / streaming, it can happen when im just browsing, but as i have 3 main computers as well as gaming devises, phones and tablets on my network and i sync between all 3 main computers when working or developing a new website and I also use google drive to store much of my many sites edits ( again so I can sync or transfer between folders on all computers )  having the 5G constantly just turn off, is not only very frustrating but my computers stop all transfers they are doing and I am unable to grab the documents I need from the other computers, Yes the 2G can be switched to, but I prefer to use the 5G for obvious reasons.

any info would be great

Thanks

S

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9 (98 Views)

Re: 5G keeps disconnecting

Are you close to the SH2 when this happens or in a different room?

What are the SH2 lights doing when you lose 5G?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 9 (87 Views)

Hi there

there is no pattern to where we are when it happens, everyone looses connection at the same time in the house where ever they are, Im usually in the living room opposite the hub.

As for the lights, traffic light flashes as does the 5G light, even when we loose the connection.

Ive reset the hub, altered settings to see if it improves, checked everything that I can but nothing seems to work.

The only thing thats changed that ties in with the problems, is an entire new set of houses are being built up the road from me, new road being created, new everything is being built as they are being built on an old playing field.

thanks

S

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9 (77 Views)

Thanks for the info. The fact that 5G drops when you are sitting opposite the SH2 is important. Had the arrow light on the SH2 turned green, that would have meant the circuit had dropped. But you say that's not the case - or at least that's how I interpret your words.

The new houses will have no bearing on the 5G issue.

BUT ... there is something called DFS (which you can Google). If your 5G is using channels that are within the DFS definition (again Google that), then the 5G will stop, move channel, test for a minute and then come back.

Other than that or a broken SH2, can't think of what else it could be.

The VM bods take a week or so to get to a thread. Where there's a whiff of a duff SH2, they are likely to send a Hub 3 so that you are lined up for all future DOCSIS 3.0 tiers.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 9 (67 Views)

Thanks for that, I'll go check it out, also I forgot to mention, all devices in the house come up with the exact same message,: connected but no Internet, hence I have to reboot
Thanx
S
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 9 (60 Views)

I forgot to mention that there is a well documented fault with a batch of SH2s whereby some of them suddenly kick people off their connection. When they try to reconnect, their password is refused. But you didn't report that so it prolly doesn't apply to you.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 7 of 9 (40 Views)

Hi,
I've just started to experience the exact same issue. Not problem with connecting to both 2g and 5g for the past 2 years with my SH2ac but 3 days ago i lost connection completely then regained after a few hours. However, since the outage i can only connect via 2g. No device will connect to 5g (phone, lape, tablet or Google nest), when I force a device to connect to 5g I get an error message 'device authentication failed'.
2g however isn't perfect, my connection keeps dropping and reconnecting every 30mins.
Can a VM person assist?
Thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 8 of 9 (26 Views)

Following on Septh's advice about SH2 flaws, I have had a few problems with the 5Ghz on the SH2. a Factory Reset on the SH2 cleared up the problem for a while. A few FRs over the months the problem has not returned.

Maybe worth a try, bearing in mind all passwords\passphraes will return to their default values printed on the Hub and you will need to set up the Hub from scratch. Oddly enough I was receiving abnormally high signal strength from the 5Ghz band suggesting the hub was transmitting above legal limits.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 9 (23 Views)

griffin wrote:

<SNIP>

Oddly enough I was receiving abnormally high signal strength from the 5Ghz band suggesting the hub was transmitting above legal limits.

There is a way of checking that.  I posted one of my technical notes on the SU forum some time ago that enabled one to convert dBmv and dBm to milliwatts.  So if you have a dBm reading of -23 when right up to the hub, you can reach an informed view as to broadcast power.  I would have done that for you but I'm in the local Waitrose cafe.

0 Kudos