Menu
pdx
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

5G Wifi hanging up while 2.4g and wired connection keep working

My router has developed a problem where all devices connected to the 5G channel loose internet connection, roughly every 24H/36H.This Wifi Channel seems to hang as other devices cannot obtain a connection to this channel. 2.4G works fine, as well as all wired connection is OK during the outage.

If I disable the 5G channel then re-enable it again service will resume, but will fail again with same symptom after a while (1day + approximatively)

I also had a weird problem where the SSID brodcast of both channels disappeared (so SSID was no longer visible) but this hasn't happened in a while.

Super Hub reported versions are :

Super Hub Version
Software Version    "V1.01.31"
Hardware Version    3.11

Please advise.

Thanks !

Paul.

0 Kudos
envoycdx
Joining in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: 5G Wifi hanging up while 2.4g and wired connection keep working

Have you tried changing the channel the 5G is broadcasting on?
0 Kudos
pdx
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

There is only 1 another 5G user visible i'm on channel 38 and he is 46. So any change would make it worse. I'm not loosing the connection or unable to connect to the router. I simply don't get the Internet connection.

But thanks, appreciated !

Paul.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to read that you are having issues with the wireless connection.

I can see from another post of yours, that you are now getting disconnections on the 2.4 GHz. Is this still the same?

If so have you tried changing the wireless channels on that frequency?

Have you tried a factory reset of the router to see if that will help?

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
pdx
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying. For now I have given up on using the 5Ghz channel. On the 2.4GHz side I had issues again and rebooted the router earlier this week. It is more stable than the 5GHz one but still it's hardly a solution. I was away on business this week but things are still up today. The only pattern I noticed is that every time I had a failure on this channel I had connected a device using WPS (which is something I very rarely do). But this was after loosing connection and not being able to reconnect by entering the password. So probably things were already in a spin before.

And from what I can see here and on the Netgear forum these symptoms seem fairly common problems. So I am considering my options. So if your advice is to do a factory reset I will do this and see.

To restate from a previous post :

So what I can say is that I checked that the device was connected, i.e. device reports it is connected and I can see it shows as connected with an IP address in the super hub console. However there is no link to the gateway/Internet. So to me it's clearly inside the router.  Just in case I tried 30cm from the router but this does not do anything.

So unless the router console itself does not report adequately the status of its connections and what devices are attached this seems conclusive.

Best

Paul.

0 Kudos
pdx
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have done the factory reset. A bit over half a day I had a short (1 minute or so) drop in 2.4 Channel. A number of Android devices moved automatically to 5GHz channel and as before got hung as before and stayed hung until I switched them back to 2.4. So this reset did not achieve anything.

Lost connection again today on 2.4 Channel and had to reboot the router and service resumed. For both 2.4 and 5 the router is on auto-select and from what I can see the channels selected do not have contention. Still this is not stable.

So what next ?

Thanks

Paul.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hey Paul,

Thanks again for getting in touch Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear that your connection problems are still on-going. Have you ran a wireless network scanner yet, to find out how many routers are around you and what channels they're using? This might help you to select a channel which is less used.

Has this problem always been present or has it only started recently?

Speak soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
pdx
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Yes I used a scanner to check what was around.

Please review previous messages, devices can connect but router seems not to connect them to gateway.

Anyway. I gave up on the super hub , fetched my previous cisco router and put your router in modem mode. And while browsing to buy a new router I can see this seems to be a fairly common solution based  comments on Amazon of router buyers...

So given what I leave to Virgin every month not so happy.

Best

Paul.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello Paul,

Thanks again for replying quickly Smiley Happy

I understand what you're saying and I agree it's frustrating. We could try and replace your Superhub and hope that helps, but if you have a poor wireless environment, you might find it'll have similar problems.

Apologies for this,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos