Menu
johnwilliams247
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

5G Connection issues

Hi,

I'm having issues with my 5G connectivity on my Super Hub 2. I used to be able to connect to 5G from my devices but now I have problems. It seems that if I reboot the hub or make some changes to the security settings it works for an hour or so but then goes back to only working on 2.4GHz. I've tried this on laptops (Mac OSX, Windows 7 and 10) and phones (iPhone 6 and Galaxy S6) but all have the same issue. I live in a flat that has a lot of other competing 2.4GHz traffic so really need the 5G to get good connectivity. 

I see a lot of people posting issues like this but can't seem to find an answer.

Thanks in advance for your help!

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: 5G Connection issues

You haven't told us much about the 5G failure symptoms. Leaving out the MacBook (which is a potrentially a matter on its own), what happens exactly on a Windows 7 Laptop?

Also could you please post your wireless settings for the SH2?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
hackneydave
Dialled in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

potentially channel conflict with automatic settings? Can you connect with an ethernet cable directly to the hub? If that works without interruption, than we've localised to the SH wifi stage.

David Smith | Blueyonder pioneer (2001) | Mac OS X Sierra, WIndows 10, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, iOS and Android | Internal Distro via Ethernet Cat 6, 5 Ghz 802.11ac wireless and HomePlug Av2
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

hackneydave wrote:

potentially channel conflict with automatic settings? Can you connect with an ethernet cable directly to the hub? If that works without interruption, than we've localised to the SH wifi stage.

To be sure of what you're suggesting, I think that would be to attach one of the laptops by Ethernet to the SH2 and see if the modem still resets.

0 Kudos
johnwilliams247
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

To give some more details, the issue is just with the connectivity over 5G and not the internet connection itself. I have connected with just ethernet fine, it doesn't drop. If I try to connect to the 5G network on my Windows 7 machine it just says "Windows was unable to connect to network xxxx-5G". It doesn't seem to connect at all but it can see the SSID, which is strange. If I do the same from a mobile, it's the same.

But then if I reboot the router it will then sometimes connect for a while, which makes me think that as it is all my devices that are having problems and all at the same time then there is something wrong with the router.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The only time I've ever seen anything like that was on iphone/iPad and was resolved by turning wireless off then on on the devices.

Your case is different as a whole range of devices won't connect. In case you have more than one fault, focusing on the iphone, what happens if you turn the wireless off then on? You've prolly tried all that but then we don't know.

Other than that, if nobody knows better, the VM bods may well end up sending a tech who can replace the SH to see what happens.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Might be worth trying a factory reset of the hub, bearing in mind all passwords\SSIDs will revert back to the defaults printed on the hub.

I had an occasional problem with the SH2 where the 5Ghz band was playing up and a FR cured it.

0 Kudos
chrisp62
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Bump Hub2 i have the exact same issues all devices cant see 5ghz anymore they used too and they are saved in my phone and in my tablet wifi setting but arn't available to connect anymore, no device can see or connect to my VM123456-5G 

they all connect to my VM123456-2G ONLY NOW

Rebooted router / rebooted phones / reset router nothing see's 5g anymore and looking in hub settings nothing has changed

app devices could see and connect to my 5g when router was self installed earlier this year no problem.

chromecast v2 cant see 5g option, samsung, wileyfox, sony, phones dont see my 5g, nexus, samsung, asus tablets dont see my 5g. its just gone for some reason afaik nothing has changed 

Any Advice Thanks Chris. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris

Thanks for posting on the community.

I'm sorry to read that your devices are unable to connect to the 5 GHz network.

When you get chance complete a factory reset from within the router itself, then name the 2.4 GHz completely different including the password from the 5 GHz network, to see if that will work. 

You can also try changing the channel along with the security from WPA - AUTO to WPA PSK AES.

Is the 5 GHz light lit on the Super Hub?

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
chrisp62
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the reply Sam done all that nothing works, rang CS They said android doesn't like 5G, so live with it.

p.s i forgot to say in my first post my Black NowTV Box was connected to my 5g connection, The NowTV box now says no network found on my 5g connection, had to do a rescan on that and connect to the 2G Connection, changed nothing altered nothing 5G Has just gone not seen on any devices and the NowTV Box. could it be with over subscription in the area i have rang CS Many times always about slow internet speed my upload speeds is usually better than my download speeds.sometimes i get 1meg download speed on a 50meg package, i have had many resets on the network by virgin up graded my package at more cost £. new hubs, new bits added on back of the router, reboot router daily etc nothing helps Virgin was good now its dire, thanks

0 Kudos