Menu
s71rl2
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

5G Channel dropping

I have had ongoing problems with my connection and I have noticed that after disconnects in game and browser pages saying not connected I have gone from 5G to 2G.

Devices that only have 5G saved (like my phone) are running on mobile data and then after a few seconds everything kicks into life again, mobiles go back onto Wifi and the Laptop can be manually disconnected from 2G and connect again to 5G.

Info.PNGUpstream.PNGDownstream.PNGBQM.PNG

0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: 5G Channel dropping

I will leave others more knowledgeable than I to comment on your log information,, but on a simplistic level I would expect a VM network fault to affect more than just the 5G wifi.

Downloading a wifi analyser app to your phone would enable you to see if only the 5G signal is disappearing when you get the problem. If so you could try turning the Shub off and back on. May not help but always worth a try.

The other thing to consider is whether there is any local interference from other radio devices.
s71rl2
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I'm sure its not network, I did wonder if it was something to do with the Shub. I have restarted it so many times over the last few months I have been having problems.

The BQM doesnt show anything to make me worry about the network in fairness, the average ping remains level, I dont face massive amounts of packet loss its just the 5G channel goes **bleep** up frequently.

I'm about to plug in a 3rd Party router and will stick the Shub in modem mode and see how that goes.
0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sorry posting at cross purposes. If you have another router modem mode sounds a good starting point. Have you tried changing the channel for the 5G wifi?
0 Kudos
s71rl2
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Started using new router and although I have not been online long enough to check the 5G signal doesn't drop this is quite frankly unbelievable!

Once I was set up and connected to Wifi I just popped onto speedtest to get a quick check on anything that had improved.

speed.PNG

0 Kudos
s71rl2
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

So I can now confirm this was caused by the virgin router in wifi mode.

You can see in my initial post the BQM while using the SH2, now this is my BQM since I put it into modem mode and plugged in my 3rd Party router, the huge red block is obviously because I forgot to enable ICMP in the new router Smiley Sad But either way:

1.PNG

Massive improvement and no more 5G drops, shame really I think I have probably had my SH2 for 7 years now, I wonder if there is a life to them and VM just decide to ignore how long you have had it and just wait for you to have a problem. If that's the case it hardly seems worth being loyal.

Anyway I'm sure like many of my other posts with problems VM will ignore, however if you are having problems it may be worth a try Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
ClaireEll
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Our 5G also doesn't work, the 2 G is saying security recommendation, what is going on, we are seriously considering leaving VM after months of slow broadband 

0 Kudos