Menu
ghostlyease
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

2nd hub?

We have an issue getting a good broadband speed upstairs, we have a staircase in the middle of the house that I believe really effects the speed, at the moment we have a powerline going into a back bedroom for PS4 use, but this is still not giving a good enough connection for good play, im guessing the wiring in the house isnt great. 

Are there any other options, what would be the cost of a 2nd router upstairs? 

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: 2nd hub?

If WiFi propagation inthe hose is a problem, a second router upstairs would need to be connected by Ethernet cable to the Hub downstairs.

A second Hub upstairs would require an additional broadband circuit into the house.

Power line should work fine unless you have a permanently dirty device running. You should examine this.

What speed VM circuit do you have? What would speedtest.net report at the Powerline device? And which Powerline set do you have?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
ghostlyease
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Seph, I really do appreciate your reply, I have no idea what a dirty device is, I did google it but had no joy, it would be great if you could elaborate. 

The powerline we have set up isnt enough for gaming on the PS4, so the wires in the house could be too old to get a good speed? 

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

A sewing machine, a fridge when it stops/starts - a kettle thermostat, a central heating pump; these can all spike the mains or and add noise.

I don't know enough about your Powerline device to comment further. I have suggested a speed test to take us forward on that.

0 Kudos
ghostlyease
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

TP powerlink is the device we use, I will do a test while hardwired tmrw when son at work. Im supposed to be on 200mbps but have never tested to that speed, max out at 70, although that could be the device not able to take the speed. 

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

70 meg is what you can expect on 2.4GHz wireless. If that was wired, you woud not be constrained to 70meg; 90 meg maybe if your Ethernet adapter was 100 meg rather than 1000 meg.

0 Kudos