Menu
AlanMac2
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

200mb connection but only getting 10mb ish

Hello to the VM community,

Please can someone help me with this BB sped issue that I have, as you can see from the screen grab my download speed is only 9.44Mbps. I've had the 200mb connection for a while and using the SuperHub 2.

Many Thanks

ratspom

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Image removed (Contains IP address), please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 200mb connection but only getting 10mb ish

As long as the SH2 is working OK it can handle 200Mbps speeds, I have one and it works just fine on the 200Mbps tier.  The Hub 3 has a few issues so I wouldn't recommend it.

You didn't answer my second question.  It would be helpful to know if the slow speeds happen all day or just at peak times?

If speeds are still slow at off peak times then some hub stats might help.  Go to http://192.168.0.1/ (or http://192.168.100.1/ if you are in modem mode) to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here, don't worry about the formatting or you can post screenshots if that is easier. Be careful to edit out or obscure any reference to your WAN IP or MAC address in the log to protect your privacy.

The community can have a look for you and see if anything in the figures looks wrong and advise accordingly. Or you can wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread (can take 7-10 days) and run checks on your line.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 14 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Image rejected.  For future reference you can edit your messages for a short time after you post them by clicking on "Post options" in the top right corner of the post and selecting "Edit Reply".

Power levels look OK.  Some slightly concerning errors in the log five days ago but nothing since and nothing around the time of your speed test on Friday.

All the evidence so far points to a peak time utilisation issue with your segment of the network.

Somebody from the VM forum team should be along in a few days (up to a week) to check your connection and can confirm if there is a known utilisation issue with your segment of the network. If that is the case they should provide a fault reference and pass your details onto another team who should inform you about your credit options for the lack of service via a PM. They should also be able to provide a review date for the fault. Note that it is a review date not a fix date (no matter what the telephone support staff might say) and some customers affected by this kind of issue have been waiting over a year for a fix.

I appreciate it is frustrating, but my advice is to sit tight and wait for a staff response and see what their checks reveal before posting again.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

AlanMac2
On our wavelength
Message 15 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

SCA1972,

you are a star Sir, Thank you very much for all the help :-) , I await the VM team for a solution then.

Regards

AlanMac2

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Are you using a wired Ethernet connection to the VM hub or a wireless connection? Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors, so a wired test is the best way to get a true picture of what speed your line is able to achieve. It also helps to pinpoint if the issue is with the wireless or your line.

Are you seeing slow speeds all day or only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends)? Some areas are suffering with over utilisation, which results in very slow speeds at peak times but full speed at off peak times.

0 Kudos
AlanMac2
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi SCA1972,
Thanks for your reply, in answer I'm using a wired connection.
Other things I've done is to switch off the VM super hub 2 for 60 s as well as the PC then switching on the router and then the PC--- still the same after everything is back on. Would a new super hub 3 be a better solution?

Ta

AlanMac2
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As long as the SH2 is working OK it can handle 200Mbps speeds, I have one and it works just fine on the 200Mbps tier.  The Hub 3 has a few issues so I wouldn't recommend it.

You didn't answer my second question.  It would be helpful to know if the slow speeds happen all day or just at peak times?

If speeds are still slow at off peak times then some hub stats might help.  Go to http://192.168.0.1/ (or http://192.168.100.1/ if you are in modem mode) to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here, don't worry about the formatting or you can post screenshots if that is easier. Be careful to edit out or obscure any reference to your WAN IP or MAC address in the log to protect your privacy.

The community can have a look for you and see if anything in the figures looks wrong and advise accordingly. Or you can wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread (can take 7-10 days) and run checks on your line.

0 Kudos
AlanMac2
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi,
Oh yes sorry, to be honest I only noticed the other evening as I was browsing Facebook and saw that the embedded video clips were buffering whilst downloading and that sent me off to speedtest.net. I'll do as you suggest for posting the the log sections from the VNM hub at peak times.

Many Thanks

AlanMac2
0 Kudos
AlanMac2
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hello again,

Ok I have just done a speedtest.net and got the following a t0810 this morning.  I've done this before when I got upgraded and I was hitting just over my 200mb speed, so alittle bit down on that figure. I didn't think VM was to sipposed to suffer from contention issues like BT ? or does it if not then whats causing my slow speeds during the evening.

Thanks for any info

AlanMac2

speedtest.PNG

0 Kudos
AlanMac2
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Bump this up, still crap 200mb internet connection during the evening. I worked it out that apart from weekends (52 x sat & sun) and  holidays (25 + 8 days bank holiday)if I haven't gone away somewhere) = 137 days where I could get full speed during the day then the rest of the year, 219 days I am paying 200mb prices for for a 10mb or less connection. Pretty good business for virgin media :-( :-(

not a happy bunny come on VM get your finger out and sort it out not just for me but all the other disgruntled vm customers

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

FYI Bumping round here doesn't work the way you think it does. The forum team respond to the oldest post waiting for a reply. This means if you keep posting on the thread then it will bump you to the bottom of their list. Current staff response times are about a week from the date of the last post on a thread.

If you want advice or assistance from me then I'll need the hub stats I asked for in my previous post.

VM is just as susceptible to contention issues as any other residential ISP if demand in a particular area exceeds the available bandwidth.

0 Kudos
AlanMac2
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

OK heres what I have downstream.PNGupsteam.PNG

Hi SCA1972,

Thanks for your reply but getting a bit frustrated here, anyway have a look at the screen shots above....just gobblegook to me but to someone who knows what they are looking at ....well I think you do by the sounds of it.

many Thanks

AlanMac2

0 Kudos
AlanMac2
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Sorry can a mod please delete the network log I forgot to edit out my ip address

Ta

0 Kudos