Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
matharu302

iPhone 4 + Virgin Mobile Sim Card

Hello there, ive just ordered a iPhone 4 which should be comming shortly and i am planning to cut my sim card down into a micro sim in order for it to work in the iPhone4, however my question is will my SMS(texts) and Data plan (I have a 1GB data plan in my contract) work straight away? Thanks for your help

Please use plain text.
matharu302

Re: iPhone 4 + Virgin Mobile Sim Card

And ofcourse sending and receiving calls lol.

Please use plain text.
matharu302

Any help?
Please use plain text.
Super-Solver
Trickiejohn

you need to connect it to ITunes (with the virgin sin in) and update/sync to get the Virgin settings

From Sunny Glasgow
if you want to say thanks click 'kudos' and if this has answered your question click 'helpful answer'
Please use plain text.
Proof’s in the Pudding
Keato

Hey I'm sorry to see that no one else has posted to let you know that a VM SIM indeed works inside the iPhones. Mine is the iPhone 4S bought from the Apple Store pre unlocked. So all legal and all :smileyhappy:

I cut my SIM down and hey presto :smileyvery-happy: SMS works, Calls work, Internet works (and bloody fast may i say)

Infact, the upload speed on my iPhone on VM is faster than my home broadband, theres a fun fact!

MMS does work however it will cost you because VM done include any MMS in any of their contracts. So probs like 30p per MMS. But why use MMS when you can just email :smileyvery-happy: or iMessage other friends/family providing they have an iPod touch, iPhone or iPad :smileyvery-happy:

Im currently on a 1GB plan too with VM and I'm finding it quite hard to even use 500MB! I'm out using 3G downloading apps, checking email every 15 mins, sending emails, using iMessage A LOT, sending pictures via iMessage (I make it use my 3G instead of my home wifi to use up my data) and still i barely have used 30MB lol

So you can put your mind at rest as many of us have iPhones including the new ones and have VM working perfectly on them :smileyhappy:

The only thing you don't get is Visual Voicemail, instead you just get usual call up voicemail which i can't see anything wrong with. Who needs visual voicemail anyway???

Just make sure to sync your new iPhone with your computer incase it needs to grab any network settings during the sync. Mine worked perfectly right out the box, though some people have needed to do a wee quick sync :smileyhappy:

Let us know how you get on with cutting your SIM down and how its working in your iPhone :smileyhappy:
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Want to say thanks? click 'Kudos'

Did this answer your question? Click 'Helpful answer' :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
matharu302

Appreciate it alot guys thanks for the help especially you Keato, i can now rest without worrying if it will work or not, and thanks for spending alot of time writing that indepth post. Tbh all i care about is SMS and calling thats the only features i use on my phone lol who needs MMS nowadays like you said when theres millions of IM apps such as WhatsApp, Thanks once again and ill let you know how it goes (Got to wait a whole week to get my iPhone -.- ) Sorry another thing im worried about is the 'Invalid Sim', lots of users have stated they get this problem on their iPhones, is it a manufacturer issue?
Please use plain text.
Proof’s in the Pudding
Keato

Well, I'm kinda able to answer your last worry. Being the amazing boyfriend that I am, i bought my girlfriend an iPhone 4S for her birthday. Now, because she actually went into a VM shop and bought the 30 day rolling contract right in there and was able to walk away with a SIM that day she ended up receiving one of those old SIMS with an 07722 number. Iv read on these forums that there have been some problems with the 07722 numbers so all we did was go back into the VM shop, asked for help, they put us on the phone to VM Customer Service and they did a basic SIM migration.

(SIM migration is where they get another SIM in the shop, transfer your entire account to this new SIM and your up and running within 24 hours)

She was up and running within like a few hours which was awesome.

She was getting the invalid sim message though It could have been because it was one of the old SIMS or the 07722 number problem.

Now she's on a new number, SMS working, Calls working, extremely fast internet speeds and in general very happy with her new phone and carrier. She's especially happy with the iPhone switching to Orange when she runs out of Virgin signal. So she can keep texting and calling me no matter where she is :smileyhappy:

I for one can't wait till next year when VM customers can use Oranges signal for 3G usage too. Currently its just calls and texts which is perfectly fine but i'd love an internet connection on Orange when it switches over on the chance I have no VM coverage (i live out in the middle of nowhere lol)

A WHOLE WEEK?? AH MA GAWD, I'd never be able to stand the excitement!!!
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please use plain text.
matharu302

Ahh i see, i just switched to virgin recently and trasferred my old number so got no idea if i got a new sim number but luckily ive ordered a free sim online if i need to migrate it, but thanks ill deffo keep that in mind!

whats worse is i actually received the phone last week but it had a fault with it and had to send it back and cause of xmas and such its delayed my replacement phone, what luck! Nevermind ive got a iPod 4G atm and its more or less the same thing so that'll keep me busy! but thanks once again for all your help i appreciate it loads and ill report back in a week (with good news! *fingers crossed*
Please use plain text.
Proof’s in the Pudding
Keato

[ Edited ]

Ah well you should have this 'invalid sim' problem then. And if you do you know exactly what to do, get VM to send you a replacement SIM free of charge of course.

Ah, see thats why when purchasing something that expensive I go into the shop and physically buy it. That way when i open it (in the shop) and there is a fault i can just do a basic swap for another one :smileyhappy:

Yeah i have an iPod Touch 4G 64GB too, with this iPhone 4S 32GB. Seems daft but i keep the iPod jailbroken and the iPhone legit :smileyhappy:

That reminds me, i need to show my iPod some love because i've neglected it ever since i got the iPhone :smileysad:

But yeah fingers crossed that your iPhone returns in perfect working order and the SIM works without fault in it :smileyvery-happy:

(oh hey and thanks for the Kudos, i never noticed it at first :smileyvery-happy: woot my second Kudos) 

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Manchero

[ Edited ]
Hi Guys, Just thought I'd let you know I got the 4s (unlocked from apple) about 1 week ago. I have sim only virgin contract with 1gb, and was worried about numerous features and faults that might occur. Thankfully all went smoothly and everything is running nicely. Be careful cutting that sim down tho. I bought a cutter, 2 quid off eBay and practiced with a few old cards before taking the plunge. The sim errors should not occur if you update to the latest apple iOS 5.0.1 build 9a406. This also sorts battery life issues out for a lot of users inc me, but not all. Keato, Visual Voicemail works a treat on my 4s, however it didn't to start with. I thought it was normal, but when my wife showed me hers worked (4s too) I was vexed. Well I fould a solution. I simply turned my phone off and on. When it registered the carrier as virgin the voicemail worked. Keato, what kind of usage are you getting before the phone gets to 1%? Have you cycled the new battery? Cheers Ps - my paragraphs have gone, lol sorry.
Please use plain text.