Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Making Waves
sherifffatman

Sending text to multiple recipients - charged for picture message!

Hi all,

I'm wondering whether it's just me or my phone but I noticed on my last bill that I had been charged for 10 picture messages @ 40p each. Now I know it's not the end of the world but I don't send picture messages (I use Whatsapp or email) so I looked into it. The 10 charges were from the 3 occasions where I had sent regular texts to multiple recipients (twice to 2 people and once to 6 people). Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I've raised a ticket with Virgin but thought I'd share here too.

In case it's relevant my phone is a Samsung Ativ-S (awesome phone for the price) and I'm on a £12pm sim-only deal.

Thanks,

Sheriff

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
sherifffatman

Re: Sending text to multiple recipients - charged for picture message! RESOLVED

Hi,

I've found the reason, and it's nothing to do with Virgin. Under the messaging options on Windows Phone, there is a setting called "Group Text" which says it "Keeps replies in one thread using MMS".

Switch that off and the problem goes away - a little annoying that it is set to "on" by default but, no real harm done

Hope this helps anyone else who sees this problem.

(Apparently there's a similar setting on Android phones too)

Thanks, Sheriff

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
gary_dexter

Re: Sending text to multiple recipients - charged for picture message! RESOLVED

iPhone does the same - multiple SMS recipients turns it into MMS

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Please use plain text.