Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Making Waves
billythepuppet

Picture Message Problems

Hi

I have an HTC Desire S and I used to be able to receive picture messages with no problems at all, but recently, first noticed yesterday I am now getting the "you have received a picture message, please visit www.virginmobile.co.uk/getmessage to retrieve your message, use the code xxxxxxx" etc. etc.

I checked my picture message settings by following the instructions on this page for my phone

http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/setup3gAndGprs.do?contentId=setting.up.3g.gprs.howdoi.sm101

But I already had those settings, I also set up another APN just in case and it's still telling me to visit the site when I get a picture message.

I can retrive the image online but that's inconvenient and it used to just come through on my phone.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

Chris

Please use plain text.
Super-Solver
Trickiejohn

Re: Picture Message Problems

Have you still got the 3G or H logo on top of the phone

If no then reset to switch on packed data - the mms will then work

home screen

Press power button ( not long enough to switch off)

second option press to switch on to set 3g/H

If thet fails go into the settings and switch on data roaming - see using the Orange network)

From Sunny Glasgow
if you want to say thanks click 'kudos' and if this has answered your question click 'helpful answer'
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
billythepuppet

Whenever I get a mms through it turns on my data connection and looks like it's trying to retrieve it, it also stays on even after I've got the text through saying to go online and get the message so I don't think it's a 3G/H problem as both of those work.

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Krystal_E

Hi billythepuppet,

It might be best to see if you can send a picture message to yourself as it relies on the same settings. I've had a look at our settings internally and they're slightly different to the website so I'd try these as well:

Name: - Virgin Mobile Messaging
APN: - goto.virginmobile.uk
Proxy: - leave blank
Port: - leave blank
Username: - user
Password: - leave blank
Server: - leave blank
MMSC: - http://mms.virginmobile.co.uk:8002
MMS proxy: - 193.030.166.002

MMS port: - 8080
MMS protocol: - WAP 2.0
MCC: - 234
MNC: - 30
Authentication type: PAP
APN type: - mms

Krystal Evans
Mobile Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Problem with your mobile?
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
d1sgusted

I have exactly the same problem which has appeared in exactly the same timeframe (ie the last week or so).

I am also having intermittent but serious problems with signal generally and mobile network - ie not working when it is indiacted H or 3G and often disconnecting completely. I have checked my APN settings and they are as indicated above. I have not recieved any updates to my phone that I was aware of BUT SOMETHING HAS CLEARLY CHANGED SOMEWHERE.

We only just got the delayed SMS problems and signal problems on the Desire S sorted after months and months of problems. This really is TOO MUCH......

Please use plain text.
Super-Solver
Trickiejohn

Check that data roaning is activated, as if you have picked up Orange then this needs to be activated

From Sunny Glasgow
if you want to say thanks click 'kudos' and if this has answered your question click 'helpful answer'
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
annieward

Hi 

I have a Blackberry Curve 8520 and an AppleMack - Book - Air and am unable to retrieve any picture message images.  I can access the picture messaging page on the Blackberry but there is no log-in box; accessing the same address on the AppleMac gives me the message but no image-www.virginmobile.co.uk/getmessage.  I have followed the Virgin helpline instruction and have registered my handset with the wireless network- still no Login box. Can anyone help?  I have fallen back on my old Toshiba Satellite 1800 - 712 but still no image!!

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Krystal_E

Hi annieward,

If you send yourself a picture message this should set up the service and you'll be able to see the picture come through. If it still says to go to the website after this please call 789 and the tech team can change a setting on the Blackberry side to activate this for you.

They're open from 8-8 (Best to call before 6.30pm to make sure you get through in time)

Many thanks.

Krystal Evans
Mobile Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Problem with your mobile?
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
MajorBloodnok

This is a useless service. It doesn't work on the phone nor on the website. I enter my phone number, enter the code that the sender sent me, and all I get is the message headers, and a message body pane with a message to click on a link to view message. But there's no link:smileymad: and no message :smileymad:

I tried setting up picture messaging and received a text as promised with a whole load of settings, but no details against any of the lines, then it invited me to Save as Default, and I thought no way, I don't wish to risk screwing up my exisiting settings. Why on earth doesn't the guide tell yuo that you'll get that choice Yes or No to save the new settings, and advise what to choose?

Totally useless service. Thank goodness I don'r get many of these pic messages. Every time I have to reply to say sorry I'm with Virgin and their software and customer interface is useless, please email me or send a plain text.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
MajorBloodnok

No edit option?

Should have said I use a Nokia E63

Please use plain text.