Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Making Waves
mouseymousey

Cant' receive MMS messages

Hi

I'm kinda hoping that Krystal will pick this up as she seems very helpful!

I ported to Virgin from t-mobile a number of years ago and ever since then I haven't been able to recieve photo messages from networks other than t-mobile and now Orange.

No-one on phone support has been able to help so I have done my own research and believe the problem is that my MMS settings are still provisioned on t-mobile servers and didn't get ported correctly.

Is there some kind of 3rd line support I can get this escalated to to try and resolve?  I've put it with it for ages but it really bugs me!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Matt

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Krystal_E

Re: Cant' receive MMS messages

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the kind words :smileyhappy:

If you're able to receive picture messages from T-Mobile and Orange but not other networks, it's best to check 2 things.

Firstly, the file type of the photo is supported on your phone. If it isn't, it won't be able to read it. Secondly, the photo is no larger than 300kb as some networks allow for larger files to be sent over MMS and won't be able to go through our network correctly.

Many thanks.

Krystal Evans
Mobile Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Problem with your mobile?
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
mouseymousey

Hi Krystal

Thanks for a speedy response.

I've also got a phone on o2 so I can test this pretty easily.  Even sending a tiny photo doesn't work.  I get a text on my phone but downloading the content fails.

It's a google Nexus 4 so it supports the phot type ok.  I've never had this working on any opf my handsets since joining virgin, HTC Desire, Galaxy S2 and now the nexus 4.

I appreciate I've left it late to try and sort it out but I'm convinced that something went wrong, or didn't happen, during the port from t-mobile.  As I said I managed to do some research on this and the thing I found said that it was likely my MMS settings were still provisioned on t-mobile servers.

Any ideas?

Thanks again,

Matt

Please use plain text.
The Sorter
rayhipkiss

Have you tried going into your network settings and checking to see if the Virgin APN is set as the default? You can also check to see if the T-Mobile settings are there too. If they are, you can delete them.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
mouseymousey

Thanks for the reply.

It's definitely not an APN issue, this is the 3rd handset I've had with the problem and none of them were ever on the t-mobile network.

I'm convivnced it's a problem at the network end but I can't seem to find anyone to escalate it to!

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Krystal_E

[ Edited ]

Hi again Matt,

Thanks for checking all these things out for us. If the file size is definately under 300kb and the file type is supported by the Nexus 4, When you're trying to download the file, can you see g, 3g or H at the top by the signal? You'll need to be connected to our data to download it (please make sure wifi is turned off).

If so, the next step would be to speak to our Technical team on 789.

When you first press the option for Technical, you'll be directed to our general customer services who would do some brief checks. If they're unable to resolve the issue, they'd pass you on to the Technical team where they'll be able to speak to the network directly.

Our network will be able to check your profile directly on the network and may need more information depending on what they find - either way they'll be able to give some advice on this.

It might be worth having an example of an MMS failing to download within the last 24 hours that the network can look at.

Please let us know how you get on :smileyhappy:

Edit: Just to let you know, the Tech team are open Monday-Sunday 8am-8pm.

Krystal Evans

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
mouseymousey

Thanks Krystal, I'll try that and report back.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
mouseymousey

Right, an update...

Someone from techincal support left me a voicemail after seeing this discussion so that was good.  I called back today and after about 15 minutes I finally managed to get past the call centre onto technical support.  I spoke to someone there for about 15 minutes and the outcome was that she will send me the MMS settings in a message.

This message apparently takes up to 24 hours to come through and now 3 hours later I don't have it so I'll wait another 21 hours and then call back.

I'm totally convinced it's not a settings issue.  I'm not a novice user and I know how to check these things.  I'm just not sure I'm speaking to the right level of technical support.  The reason I'm not sure is the person I spoke to today was speaking to someone else whilst I was on hold.  I think I need to cut out the middle man and try to talk to 3rd line tecnhincal support.

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Krystal_E

[ Edited ]

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the update. You certainly do have an unusual case!

If you still have an issue, please can you respond to my private message.

Many thanks.

Krystal Evans

Please use plain text.