Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Emerging Talent
Dinkyyy

Big data fair use policy?

I've been on the big data payango tarrif ( top up £10 and get 300 texts, unlimited data the following month) for two months and this month I've used quite a decent ammount of data (9gb)
I've just noticed my speed has been slowed to about 0.2 Mbps
Can anyone confirm what the fair usage policy is before your speed gets slowed 3 calls to customer service failed to give me the information and couldn't find it anywhere in any terms and conditions , is there not a "set in stone" fair usage ? And is my speed slowed every hour of the day or just between certain hours? ( I've experienced slow speeds since 10 am today when I first tried)
Please use plain text.
Crafty
willtisdale

Re: Big data fair use policy?

3.5GB, as per here.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
Dinkyyy

Thanks, that's far less than I thought, have these terms only been introduced? And are there different fsir usages for customers opting into the big data tarrif before June 2012?
Please use plain text.
Crafty
willtisdale

As far as I know the 3.5GB limit has only just come in, it was 10GB before that.

According to the terms and conditions / FUP page which I linked to, the only difference is for Pay Monthly customers.

Also, I don't believe that the 'Big data and text' tariff existed in June 2012, but I may be incorrect on that.
Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

Dinkyyy wrote:
Thanks, that's far less than I thought, have these terms only been introduced? And are there different fsir usages for customers opting into the big data tarrif before June 2012?

The Big Data tariff only launched in November 2012 http://mediacentre.virginmedia.com/Stories/Virgin-Media-bigs-up-Pay-As-You-Go-tariffs-23ff.aspx

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
Dinkyyy

I've been searching on google and I notice that the fair usage was 10 gb but cut right down to 3.5 gb which is a very poor show , also it says speeds would only be slower between 12 noon and midnight but I'm getting slow speeds all hours of th day
Please use plain text.
Crafty
willtisdale

According to the Acceptable Use Policy:

For customers on the Big Data & Texts tariff excessive use over 3.5GB of data per calendar month will result in their maximum bandwidth being restricted to 3G speeds (384kbit/s downstream, 200kbit/s upstream) on our network.  Excludes all other PAYG tariffs.  This policy will apply until the end of the calendar month, when it will be automatically removed. 

I don't see any times specified there, so it will apply all the time.

Personally, I think 3.5GB is reasonable given the price of the package, and 3.5GB is enough for the vast majority of users. If you are using more than that in a month, either you are tethering or there is something somewhat 'unusual' about your usage.

If you want truly unlimited, use Three which will cost £15/month on PAYG.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
Dinkyyy

Very odd, speed has been fine from about 6am till now, seems to be slowed and speeded uo randomly and without warning
Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
junglelions

[ Edited ]

I started using the 'Big data' in Feb so I got unlimited on 1st March. To beging with it showed as 2.7meg down and about 500k up using hsdpa. I watched a few movies online (3 movies), downloaded a few cool apps and such then noticed it was unable to play another movie so i downloaded the speedtest app and then it said I was on hsdpa @ 400k down and something stupid like 110up so I called 789 and spoke to Virgin tech support who told me that I get 99.9GB of data per month and that the word 'Unlimited' meant 100% that and I would in NO WAY EVER be slowed down regardless of my usage and that the slowness of my connection was only due to a network issue that had began on the 5th of March which is causing everyone to have slow speeds, I recorded the entire conversation on a cool new call recorder app I had downloaded and would be happy to forward a copy to any person working @ Virgin as proof of the tech engineers statement that I am supposed to be on 100% and in NO WAY LIMITED connection.

Oh whilst I think on it, I also asked the tech were Virgin making their existing customers aware of the fact that there is a known network issue causing slowdown and he reply was 'No, we don't do that' so I said to him, 'But we are paying customers paying for a service from you' to which he replied 'Well I might be able to find something out for you' and he put me on hold, 18 minutes later I gave up waiting and hung up but my point is, I am currently paying for a service from Virgin, there is a KNOWN issue on their network and they have done absolutely NOTHING to inform their customers, no text messages, no emails, zero info on their various websites, NADA, infact the only way you can find out is if you spend time waiting to get through to a tech person who then only says' Oh yeah, theres some issue going on but thats all I know'. Oh and another thing, depending on who you speak to at Virgi you get an entirely different version of what is going on, they clearly dont know what story to give out half the time.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
Dinkyyy

What you've been told is clearly wrong, it's obvious that speeds are slowed , if you use a speedtest app you'll notice a fast ping , the download speed shoots up to 1Mbps quickly but then slowed to 0.3Mbps

In my experience customer service are not forthcoming on data usage ( they either know but are advised not to divulge what you're allowed or just don't know)
Please use plain text.