Fresh as a Daisy
UKmember

Re: Nano Sim on Virgin mobile

After researching the nano sim it's just the gold chip that will be classed as the 'SIM'. Worth a try by all means
Please use plain text.
jv
One to Watch
jv

Have you seen this pdf? How to cut mini and micro sim to nano

Found it on this macrumours site - worth a shot! 

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Jonnybeats

I've got an older VM sim that had the wider edges to the chip. Whilst I was able to cut it into a micro sim by cutting off the excess chip and plastic, I think the nano sim size may be pushing it. And as was mentioned before, the card is slightly thinner than before.
Please use plain text.
jv
One to Watch
jv

It's only approx 0.1mm thinner than the micro/mini sims, and as the macrumors post says, there's 0.3mm of plastic behind the contacts. I'm going to sand down until it fits just right so fingers crossed! No way to tell until the phone actually turns up though..

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Robertoe5

I have been following this thread, but thought I would now add some info, I went into the Virgin shop in my town and asked about the iPhone 5, as being a customer on a rolling monthly phone contract. The guy said Virgin mobile have agreed with Apple to sell the iPhone 5 on contract and it should be avaiable by Christmas. He however said that they will not be supplying Nano Sims to rolling monthly customers, you have to purchase a 2 year contract with the phone, if this is true thats really bad of Virgin to try and lock customers into a long term more expensive contract rather than keeping there current pay monthly deal and just changing the sim.        

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

[ Edited ]

Robertoe5 wrote:

I have been following this thread, but thought I would now add some info, I went into the Virgin shop in my town and asked about the iPhone 5, as being a customer on a rolling monthly phone contract. The guy said Virgin mobile have agreed with Apple to sell the iPhone 5 on contract and it should be avaiable by Christmas. He however said that they will not be supplying Nano Sims to rolling monthly customers, you have to purchase a 2 year contract with the phone, if this is true thats really bad of Virgin to try and lock customers into a long term more expensive contract rather than keeping there current pay monthly deal and just changing the sim.        

There has been nothing announced to staff that Virgin Media will be carrying the iPhone 5, so I have no idea where the sales agent got that information from

Although saying that, all phone networks will be making customers who want the iPhone 5 sign a new contract, so I'm not sure what the issue is with what the agent said if it were true?

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
ashpole

If you do choose to sand down the SIM then wait until you have the SIM carrier in your hand - not all of the surface will need to be made thinner.

Please use plain text.
Good to Know
Keato

1. I would never recommend sanding a SIM card down to size

2. Nor would I recommend using a knife or anything like that to cut a SIM down to size

3. I would however recommend buying and using a Nano/Micro SIM cutter as they do the job perfectly. I have cut down 14 SIMS now (7 were my own for practice to make sure it work) and the other 7 were friends who bought iPhones but they didn't have a micro SIM.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Want to say thanks? click 'Kudos'

Did this answer your question? Click 'Helpful answer' :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
ashpole

Agreed but it's a hard choice isn't it?  If you don't ease the thickness of the SIM there's a risk it will get stuck in the iPhone, it'll go in but getting it out might be a different story all together.

Where did you get a nano SIM cutter?

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Jonnybeats

Obviously you do it at your own risk and all SIM cards are slightly different but after looking at mine from 2005/2006 (still going!) There looks to be a lot of extra thickness on the back of the card. I looked at the thickness of the lamination and many cards should have well over 0.1mm extra material before hitting the actual chip. I think I may be sanding mine down very carefully and measuring it with a micrometer!

4 days folks!
Please use plain text.